What Are Some Disqualified Pipe Brands For You?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Other than Brog, none...

I like a variety of pipes from various makers. Some are better than others, but in most cases they are at a minimum satisfactory or better to me.

I don't get too hung up on brands. If it looks good and smokes halfway decent that’s all I’m worried about.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I don't think I would pass on a brand just because of the logo on the stem especially if the shape and quality of the pipe was otherwise good.

The pipes I pass on automatically are Dr. Grabow, Medico, Yello Bole and other "drugstore" pipes. I also don't buy basket pipes or old pipes that don't have the brand name or identifying marks stamped on them. Come to think of it, I don't have any Falcons either.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't really disqualify brands/artisans.

If I like the aesthetics and I know the mechanics are well done I'll buy it.

Price isn't something that would disqualify me from buying a pipe brand or artisan. I've seen a number of Chonowitsch and Ivarsson and Former pipes in person and to me they are worth the price tag. The fit, finish, drilling you just aren't going to find in a Savinelli for $200 just won't happen in my opinion. It's not just advertising, these makers have been honing their craft for decades and they've been tutored under previous master carvers. They're carving to put out they best they can with every pipe they make. With factories they're trying to put out a bigger quantity of pipes which is why the fit, finish, drilling isn't as consistent as a pipe from one of the master carvers.

Reactions: kwg116

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
oh I know one. When the price range on Smoking pipes starts at 2,000 or more. Seriously every brand that starts at that price point seems to make pipes that are in my opinion ugly monstrosities that if I found in the wild I'd assume where made by a sculptor and only technically a smokeable pipe.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I don’t have any specific manufacturers on my don’t-buy list. I deliberately avoid cheap Chinese/Eastern European pipes from Amazon, EBay, or Etsy. I don’t buy artisan pipes either, because they’re generally simultaneously out of my price range and don’t really suit my tastes. I also pass over Dr. Grabows and basket pipes, but only because I haven’t found one that was interesting enough to appeal to me, not because I think they suck or anything like that.

I seem to gravitate mostly towards American and Dutch factory pipes.

gregjl

Lurker
Jul 19, 2019
Anything with stems made from acrylic are not for consideration. Any factory pipe I don't look at. If it is not from an artisan that I know has a comfortable stem I pretty much ignore. Any pipe that does not meet my specific criteria in terms of bowl height, inside bowl depth, inside bowl width, shank dimensions of 4..0-4.5 mm and weight also get no consideration.Pipes that are not smooth inside stem and hank that could cause the slightest bit of turbulence are also off the list, I know exactly what I like in my pipes and I refuse to compromise. Any pipe that does not pass a fluffy cleaner, does not smoke dry as a bone and cool, never needs a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture and basically doesn't smoke itself are all not happening. I am absolutely done with pipes that I have too work at to smoke, they will be perfect or they will be gone, I will no longer settle for an average smoke.
What kinds of brands meet all those criteria for you? One or two please?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I will forever pass on medico and basket pipes simply stamped Italy. Tried one and I gave it away. I would like to add a Grabow one day but they are so ugly

MikhaelDavid

Lurker
Nov 5, 2019
Germany
I think I would not get another pipe from Norhern Briars unless I have the opportunity to inspect the pipe first. The drilling was off so I had to make some alterations with a dremel to be able to pass a pipe cleaner. The silver ring was different to what I chose, though I also liked the one I received. Last but not least, the photo on the website was of a straight pipe, and I received a bent one. I use the pipe regularly, but I am not very happy with the whole experience. I should have returned it or at least complained, I didn't.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
I don't like dbs, partly because of the double-drilled stems, but also because of the brand. Can't even say why - always put it in line with Planta tobaccos because they come from the same company... I also used to dislike Aldo Morelli, also because of the brand because I didn't like that it's a fantasy name that pretends to be a pipe maker. Until I got one that really looks and smokes nice.
Hi Duke,
there are several brands which let produce their pipes by other carvers/factories i.e. Rattrays, Radford, Davidoff, Astley's (before Moty Ezrati closed the shop), American Chippendale pipes were genuine Charatan Belvederes, in 2009 the Stanwell factory in Denmark was shut down the pipes are now made in Italy in less quality.
Here is an old one I bought in the early 70s in a Danish super market. I's one of my favourite pipes I've smoked the most.
P1070334.JPG

Reactions: gregjl

jamesc

Lurker
Jun 15, 2015
I agree with you 90%.
The other 10% is my curiosity.
I've never held one physically and I'm the type who has to make the mistake first hand so I can say "ah I see why others have the same opinion."

Dunhill because they are overpriced for what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.