PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Title edited for caps and brevity. -jpm
My advice would be to read the rules of a forum early on, esp. Rule 9! :)

I thoroughly enjoy hearing older people talk and give advice, with only one grandparent left, its got me thinking.

Pipe smokers tend to be more contemplative than most.

And they tend to be an older demographic, thus more experience.

What would you say if a 30 year old asked you "General life advice please and thank you"
My mother, who is 83, told me yesterday that she now realizes that the only thing that matters in life is her memories of being with the people she loves.

Before seeking out advice from anyone, or after receiving the advice, do the following

1. Find out if the person giving the advice is an authority
2. Understand the motivation of giving the advice
3. Understand what you get to gain in following the advice
4. Understand the consequences of not following the advice
5. Understand your risks on following the advice (Or not)
6. Determine if the advice is worth following

Reactions: Egg Shen and JOHN72

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
One thing I forgot to impart, never quit learning. University is good but, they leave out a lot. So, read, keep your mouth shut and listen to those you can learn from. Never, ever quit trying to improve your mind!

One last item, make decisions when required. A bad decision is usually better than no decision at all. Bad decisions are good if you learn from them and make required adjustments.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What would you say if a 30 year old asked you "General life advice please and thank you"

You will read a lot on this board about the Good Old Days of tobacco use, when it was easy to buy, inexpensive, and people who enjoyed it were not treated like lepers by an ever-increasing percentage of the non-tobacco-using population.

Here's the thing: When tobacco is gone, something else will be targeted.

Incrementally, in every country everywhere.

The root problem is that a percentage of humanity wants to be in charge, cannot stand not being in charge, feel they absolutely must be in charge, and never---ever---stop trying to be in charge.

The mechanisms don't matter, the pretext doesn't matter, the science or logic or common sense or anything else doesn't matter... The only essential is EXPRESSING POWER. Being in charge.

Those who are happy with having their lives controlled by such creatures are invariably recruited to assist them in tightening the screws on those who aren't.

It has always been this way. Humans don't change, only the technology they use does.

The 21st century catch is there's no where left for the fed-up to go. Putting your stuff on a ship and sailing over the horizon, or piling it into a wagon and heading West is no longer possible.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Today's digital world makes escape essentially impossible, and the tracking of dissenters easy.

So. Heads up. The "Current Thing" will change, but the "She's a witch!" dynamic never will.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Well, you know in the old days
When a young man was a strong man
All the people, they'd step back
When a young man walked by

But you know, nowadays
It's the old man
He's got all the money
And a young man ain't got nothin' in the world these days
I said
Ain't got nothing
Got sweet nothing

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The root problem is that a percentage of humanity wants to be in charge, cannot stand not being in charge, feel they absolutely must be in charge, and never---ever---stop trying to be in charge.

The mechanisms don't matter, the pretext doesn't matter, the science or logic or common sense or anything else doesn't matter... The only essential is EXPRESSING POWER. Being in charge.
Truer words were never spoken.

These are those who believe the end justifies the means...and the only end they seek is power and control.

And their motto is, by any means necessary. They are unprincipled, lawless and Godless...full of deceit.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
When I joined the military 23 years ago, my grandfather said "you're a fucking idiot." I don't know if that counts as advice. He was a war vet, and I didn't listen to him. I mean no offence to the vets—I am one—but I guess he was right. Maybe my advice is, listen to your grandparents/parents. They know you better than your friends do.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Already there mate, we've been together 7 years before a home, now children end of next year which I was very eager on but with how crap things are I'm starting to think I probably shouldn't have them at all.

I'm very worried that I'll end up having to apologise to them every 5 min for bringing them into a place that's getting worse by the minute.

I won't even read the news anymore, its just plain bloody horrible.
As others have said, avoid the news. I know it’s easier said than done, so maybe just skim the headlines on the internet while you take your morning dump. Click on as few articles as possible. The headline is often enough of an indicator regarding “what the system wants us to think” upon reading. See, so much of life is mental. What thoughts occupy your mind and steer your behaviors the most? Why, it would be the thoughts you think the most! So stop feeding yourself bullshit. Fear, worry, depression and the like will diminish. Pair that with faith in God, and simply seeking to be righteous loving and kind…this all makes for a better life, be it a long or short one. Also, tomorrow is not guaranteed so make today the highest expression of your self that you can.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
My 2 cents:

1. You are in complete control of your character.

2. It is absolutely possible to be a good man.

3. It is said that there are two kinds of people: leaders and followers. This is incorrect. There is a third (and rare) type of person: an individual.

Reactions: trouttimes