What About Adding Fresh Tobacco On Top Of Dottle?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Meh, dump it and don't worry about it. I've posted this ad nauseam on different forums - a full bowl of tobacco is as much or less tobacco than a cigar nub I'd feed to the garden, so I don't get too concerned about a little pipe leavin's. :)

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
Glad I posted this. Very informative answers. Seems that If I can afford new tobacco, why smoke the dottle with that awful taste. Makes sense, but as a newbie, its good to check in with you guys to make sure I'm doing pipe smoking the right way Thanks guys.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You could always save them in the corner of your ash tray ala Sherlock Holmes and make them your first pipe of the day! It worked for him and I suppose with deeper thought this type of activity would be exactly what a Falcon Pipe was designed to handle.
Holmes had it down! With the ashtray on the mantle or near it, it would dry out nicely. A rich smoke, Sir! Full of goodness, nicotine, and dried spittle.
Seems that If I can afford new tobacco, why smoke the dottle with that awful taste
If the dottle tastes bad, certainly don't smoke it. Otherwise, reload and have at it!

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I wouldn't put it over dottle. But I would put over a half smoked bowl that I had to put down for one reason or another that cooled off.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I doubt I'd put new over dottle, but some of these blends are hard enough to get lit that, maybe, dry dottle on TOP would help ignition...
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I would think dottle has moisture and residue, and residue from the moisture after it dries. If I were stuck with a limited tobacco supply, I might recycle, but ordinarily, no.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
How about putting on some clean underwear over a pair of yesterdays Y fronts? No I didn't think so. How about wearing the same socks for a week? Nope didn't think so. Well its the same thing with dottle. You can dry them out and save them up in the corner of your ashtray for a kick arse first thing in the morning pipe full if you have severe nicotine needs or are extremely frugal otherwise go with a fresh bowl full!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
How about wearing the same socks for a week?
Reminds me of Desert Storm, where the driver of my Bradley knocked my rucksack off of the vehicle on the only tree in the whole desert. All I had for a spell was what was on my body... :(
Showers and clean socks have been precious to me since 1991!
jay-roger.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree. At the same time, in a hurry, without a pipe tool, I've been known to load a fresh bunch on top of dottle. Not recommended, but it can be all right.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
If want fresh and clean flavor start with fresh tobacco. The Dottie has already done its job as a “filter”. It would only have a harsh and confused flavor. But if you are just smoking go ahead go for the economical approach.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
After lighting up some 3 day old University Flake, left in the pipe after the wind sent me inside the house... I will dump anything left in a bowl before I come in. That one changed my mind. Not worth it. That stuff was awful. I puffed a few puffs and dumped it. The tobacco, fresh, was great, but the left overs were terrible.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jor and Nevada:
If your dottle is a wet mess, yes, it'll taste like crap when lit, whether it's been dried or not. But if your dottle is pretty dry, it can be fine. Then there are half pipes left for hours or days- same thing holds true. Many love the "delayed gratification"; others hate it- now you know why!

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
If there is enough left in the bottom I'll relight, tamp around, and blow out the stem. I smoke cobs a lot and I'll use the experience to try to build that mud/cake in the bottom of the bowl.
As to loading more on top, I usually end up with a clogged pipe. If there is an excessive amount of leaf in the ashtray I might load it on top of a new bowl.
Usually, there's a smoldering coal which leaves nothing of value.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Some of you may disagree but if I DGT I have to deal with compromised taste. The dottle on the other hand is theoretically like smoking the nub of the cigar, which Cubans refer to as the manure, or in this case the manure of the manure, since it is the nub (they actually use the term for the last third of a cigar) which I will roughly translate as strong and harsh-tasting. Dottle has the same characteristics as the nub in that all the smoke has passed over it, leaving taste and nicotine residue.
After all of this you may think that I like dottle, but you would be wrong. SH may have fancied a pipe full of dottle as his first pipe of the day, but I find it harsh and foul tasting; my first pipe is the one I reserve for straight VA.

Reactions: jaytex1969

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
This was my first 'reject' leftover tobacco. Previously, no problem at all, but I decided that it isn't worth the effort or mess of leaving the pipe uncleaned.

Status
Not open for further replies.