What About Adding Fresh Tobacco On Top Of Dottle?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
A Newbie Question-I alwas have a bit of dottle in the bottom of my pipes. Some of it looks brown and still smokable. Is it OK to add fresh on top, or do you guys just throw it away? Thanks.

May 4, 2015
After a whole bowl there's enough gunk in dottle that I don't need/want to filter "fresh" smoke through it. Dump it.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Most of us throw it away, I suppose.
I do not see a problem with you trying it and seeing how it goes, it certainly won't cause damage not to you, nor to your pipe.
If there is too much dottle, smoking drier tobacco might help.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Dump the dottle into a screen. Shake out all the ash. Dump it in a jar.
When you get a pound of it, press it into a stinky, black cake.
Sell it online for an obscene price. Give it a fearful name, like "Satan's Substrate".
You're welcome! :mrgreen:
jay-roger.jpg

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I have succumbed to the "I'll just put some fresh on top" and keep smoking trap. It was not an experience to repeat due to the burnt taste. Dump the few cents of dottle and reload fresh.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've done it a few times, when I'm low on tobacco or in a great hurry, and if it's dry it's all right. YMMV. Everyone's mileage varies it seems!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's like eating the pan scrapings when you fry food. It only makes sense if food is extremely scarce. Otherwise, scrape it out and start over.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Personally I don't bother and just dump it. That being said, give it a try! May work for you. Everyone has their own way and I honestly doubt any two pipers on this forum have the exact same smoking habits. I could see myself trying it if I wanted to extend the smoke a little longer but didn't necessarily have time for a whole new bowl. I've just never had the urge.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I like jaytex's answer best. But for me, sometimes the bowl goes out a few times, and I think it's done. But then I go get ready to dump it, and still see Brown leaves. I've tried many tines to finish the left overs, and some times it works, but most of the time it isn't with it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That last 1/3 of a bowl. That's the part that bedevils us. That's the part the separates the pipe smokers from the posers.

Try things out. See if they work for you. Think about it.

Is that 1/3 there because it's wet?

Is that 1//3 there because you needed a rest?

Will that 1/3 take enough of a light to make it worth the trouble?

This is your life. Start a new bowl. Enjoy the first 2/3's at least.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes when I go to scoop out the dottle, there isn't any. I might get a flake or two of leaf, but mostly no. I seldom have a third a bowl left.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After nearly thirty years of pipe smoking, I may have had that happen four or five times.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You could always save them in the corner of your ash tray ala Sherlock Holmes and make them your first pipe of the day! It worked for him and I suppose with deeper thought this type of activity would be exactly what a Falcon Pipe was designed to handle. :rofl:

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
I enjoy the robust taste, just not the ash. Dump the ash, was my downfall. I would just keep packing it down. Never dumped ash till the end.

New rule in my rule book: dump ash, don't pack it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.