Not open for further replies.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
VbMvmqi.jpg

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
it is a very intriguing pipe, love the grain on it, and also looks like it holds lots of tobacco, what is the brand name of the pipe.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
http://i.imgur.com/VbMvmqi.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/VbMvmqi.jpg
Sorry for the pictures, but I'm not still able to post them correct way with the new Imgur.
Anyway this is the topic: I made this pipe almost two years ago and I smoked it for the first time only now.

Apart from the pleasure it gave me looking at the beautiful way the smoke swirled out of the bowl - caused by the particular shape of the bowl: a round chamber topped by an oval fennel -, since the first smoke I was surprised from the pleasure it delivered and the following times confirmed it gave me the most agreable smoking experience I ever experimented.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't want to advertise the pipes I make. The ones I tried are all good smokers, maybe depending the high quality briar I use, but this one is special and I want to discover why.
The first thought is that, as many of you already experienced, this is just chance. Sometimes you find a perfect smoking pipe nothwithstanding its shape or manufacturing quality or price.
The second possibility is that it depends on the paticular oval funnel inner rim shape.

I want to try and make other pipes with this funnel shape. oval or round, to understand if it has some connection with this good result. Meanwhile, I want to ask you all if somebody already experienced some funnel shape pipe and and how they smoked.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Hextor: the brand name is "Rastrelli", my production.
Mawnansmiff: you are right: it defies gravity!
Pagan: the chamber is cm.2 wide and cm.4,4 deep. The inner "fennel" is cm.2x5 and cm.0,8 deep.
Jvshr: thank you for posting the first picture correct way.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm struggling to understand how the rim shape could affect the smoking experience, I thought all the 'magic' happened in the bowl, shank and stem. But then I'm not a pipemaker :?
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's how: Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Dropbox, etc.), select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) and choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address) into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread in which you want the photo to show.
VbMvmqi.jpg

imlFsyd.jpg

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Mawnansmiff: I carefully light it in the center with matches. On the other hand I still used it few times so I don't know in the future.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Three blank posts on the trot. Must be a record.
Good thing you persevered as the pipe photos were well worth waiting for. Awesome grain patterns going on for sure.
Congrats on the gravity defying pipe!

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
What a mess! Still unable to post images right way!

I apologize and thank everybody for your help and your patience!
Dottiewarden and 1coyote thank you for your kind words.

Status
Not open for further replies.