PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Post for Brian Williams: "Journalist" gets (102 posts) Post for Fighting Veterans gets 7. Seems like not to many here give a shit about vets.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Seems like not to many here give a shit about vets
One does not follow the other, Teddy.
Simply because we found shame, affirmation and humor in the demise of Brian Williams career, and chose to carry on about it, does not mean that we don't care about veterans. I find your statement to be insulting, really. Do I need to reaffirm my support and admiration for vets every time someone rings the bell? That's the same kind of bandwagon logic that certain segments of or society use to brand people as racists amd homophobes: If you don't stand up and spout the party line every time someone presses the hot button, then you must be a (choose your invective).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Much as I hate agreeing now and then with woods, he's right. Do not question my feelings, simply because I do not rise to bait every time. I do not feel the need to have special license plates, numerous bumper stickers or wear the ball cap. I know who I am and do not feel the need to proclaim my feelings or military history publicly on a continuous basis.
Williams is fun, an easy target. My veteran status and level of concern for vets is my business, a few close friends and, in some instances, such as home buying, education and etc., the government's.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Warren, I usually respect you opinion, but how on earth can you agree with me? I thought that you were smarter than that.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Teddy different outlooks for Different people, Veterans Org asked me to join,I said No, I don't go to the Wall, public displays don't mean much in my book, it's what's inside, Teddy you meant good but it come out wrong.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I concur with both woods and bradley, as there are two sides to every coin. It is never good to jump to conclusions like that and post with instant emotional response, especially with such a touchy and sensitive subject as the one at hand. I can understand where teddy is coming from, but i think like brad said, it just came out entirely wrong.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Teddy, I am sorry that you see this rather narrow view of the condition of journalistic misadventure and the deep, if often not continuously expressed, respect for the fighting many who have protected us at home in the same light. Our resolve to honor those who have served is a daily dedication and cannot be measured by the mere posting on this humble forum.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I agree with those above.
I like to look at it this way: If not for those willing to fight for our freedoms, we couldn't enjoy a thread dedicated to bashing a vapid talking head.
Sometimes we take it for granted, yes. But the majority of those in uniform aren't in it for the glory and adulation. The freedoms we enjoy in life are proof that appreciation is warranted and very appreciated to any and all who have served.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I admit I am sometimes wary of Veteran stories. I spent years subject to Selective Service when the

draft was in full force. I spent years in the Navy and one in the combat zone pulling combat pay.

I spent years after separation and discharge assisting my fellow veterans get the benefits they'd

earned, especially educational benefits. Trained as a journalist, I did respond to the Brian Williams

story. I passed on the Veterans post. No apologies.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
I feel for teddy here but disagree with him as well.
What I think is important to remember is that people show support and concern in different ways. One might give 100s or thousands annually to a vet organization but choose not to be out spoken about the vet cause. Others may not give a dime but give their precious time visiting with and providing emotional support to disabled vets. I have proudly laid veterans to rest and had the honored privilege of handing over a flag to the next of kin and saying thanks on behalf of the President of the United States and a grateful nation. As a 13 year, still serving veteran, I skipped the post as well. There are certain things I chose to speak with the masses about. Vet issues typically aren't one of them because they are too near and dear.
Teddy, I am sorry you felt that your thread was under supported. For what it's worth, do know that just because it didn't get its "fair share" of replies there are so many other ways vets are supported. Worry not..
j/B

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Besides talking pipes and tobacco we have a very diverse group here and so have many diverse conversations. We always have some sort of current event to talk about here and Brian Williams is just one more. However I do see his issue borders on stolen valor lines to some and does veer into the realm of the guys who really took the heat while he only pretended to. I do hope he was able to clean the poop outta his skivies. The one thing I have not seen is anyone talking about Paris whats-her-nutz and Kim Karda-who-ha. If we ever start down that slippery slope I'm outa here.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Perspective is in order here. The fact of the matter is that what goes on in this forum is generally a very pleasant waste of time. A diversion. It has little to no bearing on what is really important. Talk is cheap, and we do an awful lot of it here, but that doesn't make it any more valuable. Pipebaum got it right: The things that matter deserve action, not words.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I noticed that if you want to create an off-topic thread on this forum that generates a lot of views and posts, you need to title it something like: "My Dog Is Sick". :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've done posts on pipe subjects, with pipe-subject headlines, and they've plummeted off the active Forums list

with two, or one, or no additional posts. And if you'll forgive the image, I've always considered that the fortunes

of war. People don't light up every time I post, nor do I expect them to. This is an independent minded crew;

may it always be so.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"My Dog Is Sick".
Man, I'm real sorry to hear that! Just like the Native Americans do, I believe that we are meant to be the keepers of the animals of the world. ;)
I think some threads are often chosen & worded in such a way as to be troll threads and highly inflammatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.