What “Dose” to Keep on Hand to Smoke vs Cellaring.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I have stashed away prodigious amounts of tobacco - original packaging in totes, and opened/ bulk in jars. I discovered Esoterica bags leaked, and that was start of the decline into hundreds of jars....

(The photos tell the sad story a tobacco apocalypse prepper.)

Having now acquired several new SG 250 gram boxes, I’m not sure where to go next. Jarring them in approx 4 oz allotments is my habit to date, but I wondered if putting it into malar bags in more readily consumable allotments isn’t a better idea.

It’s easy enough to jam 8oz of tobacco into something, but when you want to smoke it, you now have to make some kind of plan to deal with what you won’t conceivably smoke in the next few weeks.

It seems opening up 1.5-2oz of tobacco at a time is a sensible amount for entry into rotation so to speak. If I bagged up a whole lot of little bags of each tobacco, sampling over the next few years is a doddle. (?) I have visions of a sophisticated filing system of tidy bags..... which will likely degenerate into chaotic piles in no time.....

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Casual

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I have stashed away prodigious amounts of tobacco - original packaging in totes, and opened/ bulk in jars. I discovered Esoterica bags leaked, and that was start of the decline into hundreds of jars....

(The photos tell the sad story a tobacco apocalypse prepper.)

Having now acquired several new SG 250 gram boxes, I’m not sure where to go next. Jarring them in approx 4 oz allotments is my habit to date, but I wondered if putting it into malar bags in more readily consumable allotments isn’t a better idea.

It’s easy enough to jam 8oz of tobacco into something, but when you want to smoke it, you now have to make some kind of plan to deal with what you won’t conceivably smoke in the next few weeks.

It seems opening up 1.5-2oz of tobacco at a time is a sensible amount for entry into rotation so to speak. If I bagged up a whole lot of little bags of each tobacco, sampling over the next few years is a doddle. (?) I have visions of a sophisticated filing system of tidy bags..... which will likely degenerate into chaotic piles in no time.....

Thoughts?
07881B9E-71B5-4887-B1D0-006585378947.jpeg95D1A5B9-C951-4164-A720-4EFBFD2DC217.jpeg003A507E-D2B0-4548-BD02-1A24494BB0A9.jpeg

Reactions: dcon

Mike D

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2020
No more than 4oz, but 90% of my 1/2 pint jars have 2oz each. Feel like this is a good amount for when "breaking the seal" on a jar out of the cellar, so that the other jars in that blend continue to age.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Everything in my cellar is fair game. Any aging that happens is just lack of being smoked. I've spent years buying up for a time when I could no longer afford tobacco and aging is just an afterthought. I put one pound to a pint jar for ribbon, and two pint jars for a pound of flakes.

Reactions: edger

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes it seems most of my stash is in waiting. I'm always getting delicious samples from Forums members and small quantities of bulk from the retailers I want to try, and I have about ten jars that are actively smoked from. All the rest is in stacks of tins, jars, and tubs, nowhere near the poundage of some of the members who smoke all the time, but enough to hold me for years. I'd say about 20% of the number of blends is being actively smoked, but much less in actual ounces since I have many samples in small quantities or partial open jars.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I had very little space for the small canning jars. I went with 2 pounders with silicone gaskets and barely have any space left. I like to store my tobacco in their original tins, I needed the space and the glass canning jars are space wasters. Tins are my favorite way to store tobacco, and luckily most all of my favorites came in tins.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
When I jar I have been using the small jars that fit about an oz each. This way I can sample more as I go along without committing to a full tin worth

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I use mostly 4, 8 and 12oz jars. I like the 12 oz for longer flakes. The extra length means I don't have to bend them. I resealed all of the Esoterica bags in mylar.
Yesterday I went to open a tin of Germain's Brown flake from a group that I bought 7 years ago, when they were already over a decade old. Alas, a couple of them had failed and the contents were thoroughly dried out. Bummer. I rehydrated them and jarred the flakes. I'll give them a week to stabilize then see if they're worth smoking. I'm not optimistic. Not all tobaccos rehydrate successfully and these have a stale smell. Those small tins are crap for the long term.

• Sad
Reactions: FurCoat and seanv

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I use mostly 4, 8 and 12oz jars. I like the 12 oz for longer flakes. The extra length means I don't have to bend them. I resealed all of the Esoterica bags in mylar.
Yesterday I went to open a tin of Germain's Brown flake from a group that I bought 7 years ago, when they were already over a decade old. Alas, a couple of them had failed and the contents were thoroughly dried out. Bummer. I rehydrated them and jarred the flakes. I'll give them a week to stabilize then see if they're worth smoking. I'm not optimistic. Not all tobaccos rehydrate successfully and these have a stale smell. Those small tins are crap for the long term.
That sucks. I came across an old tin of Germain brown flake a while ago. The seal had popped and it was very dry. I rehydrated with a Boveda 72. The flakes came back decently and smell of sweet molasses. I haven't smoked any yet but I will soon.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I do the same as sable with one exception, I use preserve jars for blends in rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.