What’s Your Favorite “Stress Relief” Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Work has been extremely stressful for the last year or so. When I get home in the mornings, and try to unwind, I tend to reach for certain tobaccos. In the past it was McClelland Blue Mountain, but seeing as how it is now in the unobtainium category, I’ve slacked off on it so as not to deplete my stash. I still tend to reach for a strong Balkan, but here lately I’ve been smitten with C&D Small Batch Carolina Red Flake w/ Perique. It’s probably the best VaPer I’ve had that wasn’t cellared for several years. I can’t wait to pop a tin once it’s sat for 6-8 years. I only wish I had ordered more before it was gone.... So that’s what I’m about to load in my pipe this morning after a rough weekend.
So what’s your go-to stress reliever?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
For me what works best is to claim 3-4 hours on a weekend night and smoke something strong with beer and whiskey on the side.
ATM my preferred strong smokes are 1792 Flake and Royal Yacht, the beer is a local strong lager and the whiskey is Jameson.
Actually I would prefer some Glendronach or Glenkinchie, or maybe even a good cognac, but there is some pleasure to be found also in keeping things simple and less expensive.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Interesting question. I'm not sure I've thought about it before, but I do know that a rich, heady Latakia blend with heavy Oriental leaf content (i.e. a Balkan) is something that tends to calm me down and put me into a more relaxed state. I think it's the combination of full-flavor, but relatively light nicotine that make such blends good to unwind with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm, concerning emotional patterns, I don't dive for a pipe when I'm stressed. I usually have to decompress some other way then relax with a pipe. Stronger blends tend to be for when I'm in a good mood and more relaxed anyway. Milder blends can have an additional calming effect if I still need calming. But I don't "treat" stress with tobacco, mostly.

Reactions: PipesRock