PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
So when I first started pipe smoking tins didn’t have warning labels. Then around Summer 2018 I started seeing warning labels, but certain brands never did them (such as Esoterica).

Then in 2019 I noticed brands that were using warning labels for a time were now going back to their original labels without the warnings; such as Cornell & Diehl, Orlik, and I’m sure others. I think there was a rule change or something, and it allowed brands to carry on as usual without the warning labels.

But now there are still brands that are using the warning labels. And I even got tins of Orlik recently, and they once again have the warning label (the tins I ordered in Summer 2020 did not). What gives? Pease seems to still be using the warning labels, but there seems to be no requirement to do so, as we even saw today with the new Mac Baren tobacco, devoid of a warning label.

So what’s the deal? Why did some brands, such as Esoterica, get to carry on this entire time without ever using warning labels? (Were the warning labels just a “suggestion” or something?) Why are some brands going back to the warning label, while others are not?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
It's a complicated legal issue. There is a thread about it here:

The thing is that once a company starts producing the new labels with the warnings, they're just going to use them instead of spending more money printing more labels without them.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA

The thing is that once a company starts producing the new labels with the warnings, they're just going to use them instead of spending more money printing more labels without them.
Thanks. I was thinking a company could just go back to printing their old labels, but I guess they probably printed a ton of labels with the warnings on them.

I like the Irish guy on condor packets with the huge throat/jaw goiter
I know that if we show that their idea to shame people into quitting backfires, and we all embrace these images, they'll rethink that whole idea, especially if we inflict it on EVERYONE else with tshirts and stickers. The more we complain about them, the more they'll know it is working.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I know that if we show that their idea to shame people into quitting backfires, and we all embrace these images, they'll rethink that whole idea, especially if we inflict it on EVERYONE else with tshirts and stickers. The more we complain about them, the more they'll know it is working.
I should make tees with the block letters of “RAUCHEN IST TÖDLICH”

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

which kind of disproves the efficacy of using warnings. Because if it lowered sales in any way or any demographic it would be worth the cost to print up some with out the warning. Or that is how I see it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It really is.

does anyone go to buy pipe tobacco and then see the warning “tobacco contains nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive chemical” and then not buy it? Has that happened even 1 time?!
probably twice.
I am sure at least one pregnant woman switched brands for a one that didn't warn about low birth weight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.