PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jrsower

Lurker
Jun 13, 2020
Southeast United States
Checking them out on eBay. But they seem weird. They aren’t briar as they’re always described as “wood craft”.

They look like they’re made in a mold of some kind. And they’re shiny like they’ve been coated with some kind of lacquer.
Bowls are black inside.

I’ve heard people say they’re fine pipes and I’d like to consider one but wanted to hear from others here first.

• Wow
Reactions: chopper

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Checking them out on eBay. But they seem weird. They aren’t briar as they’re always described as “wood craft”.

They look like they’re made in a mold of some kind. And they’re shiny like they’ve been coated with some kind of lacquer.
Bowls are black inside.

I’ve heard people say they’re fine pipes and I’d like to consider one but wanted to hear from others here first.
HS Studio/Road Town are said to be made by various Chinese 'artisan' pipe makers.

I bought four in one order [The ebay seller got real shitty because I 'won' them for between $5-$10 each. Since then those auctions start off with a reserve price :LOL: ]

They all have a chamber coating that tastes like the inside of a chemical factory [being Chinese made I should have known better] It's the only time I can recall having to dump a bowl.

After using sandpaper to remove the coating back to briar, that, pipe, a Road Town Poker, is an average smoker at best.

The 2nd one was a Dublin with a bamboo stem. I'd wanted a bamboo stem for some time but most are a bit pricey. The Road Town was reasonably cheap.

It's a poor design that makes it impossible to use a pipe cleaner, even after the mouth piece is removed so I only smoked three bowls in it. [The bamboo stem is permanently fixed]
After sitting amongst 20 or so other pipes for several months, the mouth piece broke in half. It wasn't dropped or abused. It simply broke by itself.

The other two Road Town pipes, that are sitting in a box, I will sell on consignment at my local 'tobacconists'. [After I've sand papered off the offensive bowl coating]

You get what you pay for. Unless I was after a cheap ornament, there's no way I'd ever consider buying a Chinese made pipe.

I'd much rather smoke an MM cob even if they were ten times the price of a RT/HSS crappy piece of crap.

TLDR? Road Town/HS Studio pipes are crap. [With a bowl coating of formaldehyde, lead and mercury that I suspect is radioactive . . . ok, I made that up but that's the impression I got as I nearly died from asphyxiation after a couple of puffs from collapsed lungs . . . well ok, I might be exaggerating a little but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth and an irritated mouth and throat]

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Not the name but I've seen a few that look similar to your pic and more than a few rather fancy HS Studio pipes that looked rather cool.

Notice that ^^it^^ has a bowl coating. I'd wager it tastes just like my RT.
Chinese manufacturers have a shocking track record of using nasty shit like formaldehyde [they love that stuff and use it for all sorts of applications] lead and mercury in their products.
Who knows what's been used in the pipes manufacture?

Nuh, never again would I buy a Chinese pipe. Not worth the risk IMO.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not the name but I've seen a few that look similar to your pic and more than a few rather fancy HS Studio pipes that looked rather cool.

Notice that ^^it^^ has a bowl coating. I'd wager it tastes just like my RT.
Chinese manufacturers have a shocking track record of using nasty shit like formaldehyde [they love that stuff and use it for all sorts of applications] lead and mercury in their products.
Who knows what's been used in the pipes manufacture?

Nuh, never again would I buy a Chinese pipe. Not worth the risk IMO.
You'll not want any Japanese Tsuge's then. In a video I once saw, they use fish oil in their chamber coating though theirs as well as every other coated chamber I've smoked never tasted off.

When I wrote the seller on ebay years ago when I first saw them, I was told that they were made in Canada by a guy with an Asian name I can’t remember now, but heck, I can’t remember most Danish or Russian names either. But, I bought two.

The bowls coatings reminded me of Petersons. They were briar. But my only complaint was that the bamboo separates from the stummel, which I had to reglue. I have since seen these pipes at other online retailers, including The Briary.
When I asked Skip at the Briary about them, he confirmed that they were coming from Canada, but he didn’t continue to carry them because of they came apart like mine did.

I removed the chamber coatings on mine, and now use them for Lakelands.
I had also made a post years ago about making new bits for them, because on their nylon bits were too soft.

I ordered another last year, because I just love using the bamboo pipes for my stronger lakeland blends, and it has been a much better smoker. Even the bit is vulcanite now and the coatings are much more clean.

I see them as just as much a risk as a Peterson, except not as ugly.
YMMV

I will add that I am not saying that these are great smokers, nor is one good pipe an adequate sample to show a great improvement in their craftsmanship. My Ferndown's bowl coating was much more nasty tasting, IMO. And, I just felt that they needed a fair shake. China has some great pipemakers. And, just the fact that this guy is in Canada doesn't make him a great pipemaker.
I think that this guy and his studio get a bad wrap with these fraud allegations, which are ridiculous, and they pop up every time his pipes are mentioned.

I will also say that my opinions are merely my own, and do not represent those of this pipemaker, nor those of Pipesmagazine, nor any of their affiliates. I also make no claims about these pipes being any better than any other pipe. Now do I pledge any allegiance to Canada nor any Asian countries, nor their maple tress and Panda bears. The fact that I can't remember an Asian name, reflects solely on me, and does not reflect any racists thoughts or lack of empathy... well, maybe empathy. I'm not even sure what the fuck that means, fucking snowflakes. puffy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I will also say that my opinions are merely my own, and do not represent those of this pipemaker, nor those of Pipesmagazine, nor any of their affiliates. I also make no claims about these pipes being any better than any other pipe. Now do I pledge any allegiance to Canada nor any Asian countries, nor their maple tress and Panda bears. The fact that I can't remember an Asian name, reflects solely on me, and does not reflect any racists thoughts or lack of empathy... well, maybe empathy. I'm not even sure what the fuck that means, fucking snowflakes. puffy
Sounds a bit like the SNL Happy Fun Ball disclaimer.

bouncing-ball.gif

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

Bowls are black inside.

I've a couple, including the one in my avatar, an 8" long monster with no fills. They're freehands, not machine fraised, though I suspect the stems are pre-molded. I have no doubt they're briar. The ones I have are a tremendous value for the money.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I'm definitely not a fan of all things Chinese in general and prefer to buy American goods whenever possible, but Xu Hai is considered to be one of the best of the current pipe carvers out there: Xu Hai - https://www.scandpipes.com/pipes/725-xu-hai/

As far as HS Studio pipes, the eBay seller might or might not be in on counterfeits along with selling HS pipes, but HS pipes aren't necessarily a scam. I haven't seen any so I can't comment on their quality but Marty Pulvers sells them on his sight, so that probably says something to some people. Personally, if I was in the market for a pipe in that price range, I'd probably go for something from Briarworks. I have a couple from them, and they're a great bang for the buck IMO.