PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi folks...does anyone else seem to have a lot of saliva when smoking?
used to. Question do you spit when you smoke? That will make it bad. It seems wrong but if you have excess salivation while smoking swallow it. For whatever reason when you spit it causes you to salivate more where as swallowing it does not. And there is no harm in swallowing your own spit even when smoking. Seriously anything that could be bad or make you sick about it will be killed outright by your stomach acids which are pretty intense.

Reactions: Ray in Bangkok

Ray in Bangkok

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
used to. Question do you spit when you smoke? That will make it bad. It seems wrong but if you have excess salivation while smoking swallow it. For whatever reason when you spit it causes you to salivate more where as swallowing it does not. And there is no harm in swallowing your own spit even when smoking. Seriously anything that could be bad or make you sick about it will be killed outright by your stomach acids which are pretty intense.
Thx this helps!

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You will want a pipe that has the following dimensions. 5.5-6.00" long. 2.0-2.25 bowl height. Inside bowl depth of around 1.5", inside bowl width of around .75-.82. I would get somethin that is 4.0-4.5 inside shank width. Make sure the in side stem is smooth as glass as if it isn't the pipe will give you turbulence that would make the pipe smoke wet

I smoke flakes and plugs all the time and I make sure they have some decent moisture in them as for my tastes any flake that is too dry will smoke hot and make the pipe loose flavor during a hot smoke.
Over the 20 years I have smoked a pipe I have learned what works for me. Others like to smoke their tobacco dry and hot. That is why pipe smoking is so cool, everyone likes their smokes a different way. What works for me might not work for you.

Of course anyone who doesn't agree with me needs some lessons which I happily give for free.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
Lately I've been smoking more while driving and seem to be smoking wet due to clenching mostly. As a newer smoker I'm not sure if it is because of the clench, smoking too hot, wet aros, or what. I've only noticed it the past week or so but I'm confused and just hope time will help me figure it out.

GlassMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2020
Tempe
For some reason I get saliva if I’m clenching, and working in the garage at the same time. I also spit a lot (bad habit I’m told...)

Reactions: wyfbane

Pipe Daddy

Might Stick Around
Oct 16, 2019
Hi folks...does anyone else seem to have a lot of saliva when smoking?
If your pipe is gurgling , then you have to be careful not to spit in it, make sure your tobacco is dry, and exhale a puff of smoke back through it after you draw. Also try a straight pipe, especially a cob to fix wet smoking.

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Yes .... I smoked a pipe in college, 35 years ago, but just started up again.
Welcome back to the briar Ray.

No I don't. I'm one of those blokes who wipes kids snotty noses [because I can't bare looking at it] and wipe the sleep from the dogs eyes.
It's like an aversion to certain bodily excretions.
Excessive saliva would come under that category so ''wet'' is definitely out.

It's not often that I clench a pipe but when I do [like when driving and I need two hands] it's not for long enough to stimulate saliva.

It might sound counterintuitive but a sip of water in between puffs often helps.
Using a pipe cleaner regularly will help.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Smoke is damaging to the mouth lining and salivation is prompted to counteract the effect. Eventually, the salivary glands will acclimate to the smoking and some experience dry mouth at this point which necessitate the addition of a beverage while smoking such as in the case of coffee and cigarettes.