PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
Hello. I'm going to give you some of my opinions of G.L. Pease Westminster. This is my favorite go to daily English blend. It is a med. bodied tobacco that satisfies my cravings in a big way. Latakia, Virginia & Orientals give this blend such a great flavor and aroma. If you've ever been fortunate; it compares (to me), Margate. Not as refined as Germain's Margate; but certainly, much more available. Pease loves his English blends, and this blend certainly testifies to that. He even has an "Old London" series. The Latakia is certainly prevalent, along with the sweet, tangy Virginias, & Oriental components. All of these tobaccos come together in a harmonious blend. I know taste change, but for now. This is my everyday choice. Enjoy

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Westminster is my go-to, everyday, favorite............... a masterpiece of a blend in my opinion.
I love Quiet nights, Gaslight, Abingdon................... But Westminster hits all the spots, all the time!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
When I was consistently smoking Latakia, Westminster, Odyssey, and P&W 400 were the steady, excellent and readily available blends.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I wasn't around for the "golden age" of pipe smoking but I bet I'd be hard pressed to find many people, past or present, who are more skilled at creating Latakia blends than GL Pease.

I prefer a few other Pease blends (e.g. Spark Plug, Maltese Falcon, Charing Cross and Kensington) to Westminister, though Westminister is certainly a great tobacco. I can totally understand why some smokers are devoted to it.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
In an era when unobtanium can dominate conversations, there is something wonderful in having spectacular blends readily available.

Definitely. Westminster and Quiet Nights are absolutely top notch, and if they became limited in production, they would become unicorns right away.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I wasn't around for the "golden age" of pipe smoking but I bet I'd be hard pressed to find many people, past or present, who are more skilled at creating Latakia blends than GL Pease.

I prefer a few other Pease blends (e.g. Spark Plug, Maltese Falcon, Charing Cross and Kensington) to Westminister, though Westminister is certainly a great tobacco. I can totally understand why some smokers are devoted to it.
Right now is the golden age of pipe smoking puffy

Granted, a number of decades ago, it was much more popular to smoke a pipe than it is now, but they were mostly smoking mediocre blends with mediocre pipes with stingers and the like. There have never been more great blends and great pipes than what we have available to us right now.

100% agreed on the quality of GLP’s Latakia blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I aged my one tin of GLP Westminster too long, so when I opened it, I got about three wonderful smokes and then the Lat disappeared, which throws the blend off entirely. I fixed it by supplementing the Lat with other tobaccos, but never went back for another tin. Luckily, most people have an excellent experience with it, so I believe your review.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I have quite a lot of Westminster and aged Dunhill London Blend in my cellar; London Blend is what Westminster was loosely based on if I recall correctly. They are different but similar. Westminster and London are probably my favorite English blends, although I've recently been smoking more Burley / Kentucky blends.

Reactions: dcon and jpmcwjr

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think I aged my one tin of GLP Westminster too long, so when I opened it, I got about three wonderful smokes and then the Lat disappeared, which throws the blend off entirely. I fixed it by supplementing the Lat with other tobaccos, but never went back for another tin. Luckily, most people have an excellent experience with it, so I believe your review.
I’m curious, how many years did it have when you opened it?

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
I'm a Dunhill London Mixture fanatic. When it went out of production I tried Westminster as a replacement. It was in the general ballpark but not to the point that I smoke it often. I've been picking up GLP English and Balkan blends when they are on sale to give them a try. I'm really liking Meridian and Samarra. Abingdon and Maltese Falcon have been favorites of mine for several years now.