PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Heading out to the Zippo flagship store/museum this week. Wondering if anyone knows of decent pipe/tobacco shops on Western NY? Passing through/near Elmira, Binghamton, Corning, etc..
I live in w. N Y . The southern tier is a void for pipers, most are bong shops with the exception of. Browns Cigar shop in Corning . Google shops in Binghamton? The best shop in all of NY is Smokers Haven in w. Seneca near Buffalo, see Pipedia under Kalnitz maker, excellent write’up . Well worth the trip.

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I live in w. N Y . The southern tier is a void for pipers, most are bong shops with the exception of. Browns Cigar shop in Corning . Google shops in Binghamton? The best shop in all of NY is Smokers Haven in w. Seneca near Buffalo, see Pipedia under Kalnitz maker, excellent write’up . Well worth the trip.

Ditto. Beat me to it. You're 4.5 decades too late. Those towns down in the southern tier almost always had a so-called newsroom-type store that sold magazines, newspapers, and a sometimes surprising variety of cigars, pipes, and pipe tobacco. Long gone. Think there's one left, but it's in Syracuse (Rocky's).

If you're passing through Corning, I'd recommend visiting the Rockwell Museum, not that it has anything to do with your query. (That's not Norman Rockwell, btw.)

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Thanks. The Rockwell museum looks great. We’re passing through Corning and we’re planning to pop into the Museum of Glass. We have a NARM (gets us into a ton of museums for free) pass and both museums are on the list. Is Browns Cigar worth the trouble? A trip to Smokers Haven sounds amazing. Will have to wait for another time though. Corning is 3 hrs for us - half way to Zippo and a good spot for a future day trip.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Thanks. The Rockwell museum looks great. We’re passing through Corning and we’re planning to pop into the Museum of Glass. We have a NARM (gets us into a ton of museums for free) pass and both museums are on the list. Is Browns Cigar worth the trouble? A trip to Smokers Haven sounds amazing. Will have to wait for another time though. Corning is 3 hrs for us - half way to Zippo and a good spot for a future day trip.
Allow plenty of time for Zippo amazing. Also don’t miss Euorpean Pastry Shop you will need GPS to find both. Browns Cigar is a long established shop on the main drag area worth a walk around . Corning Glass is a real treat. Glen Curtis aircraft in Hammondsport is great. Enjoy your trip at the right time of year.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Allow plenty of time for Zippo amazing. Also don’t miss Euorpean Pastry Shop you will need GPS to find both. Browns Cigar is a long established shop on the main drag area worth a walk around . Corning Glass is a real treat. Glen Curtis aircraft in Hammondsport is great. Enjoy your trip at the right time of year.
That all sounds great. I think the main focus will be Zippo tomorrow since that’s the furthest for us. We’ll scope out Corning since it’s a great stopping point and probably head back there at some point since it’s only 3hrs.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Worthless for this conversation, but many moons ago Elmira had a terrific smoke shop between the college and downtown.

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Went to Zippo yesterday. Was a lot of fun. Corning was a bit further along than I had first thought - About 4 hrs - but made for a good stopping point. We didn’t get much time there but went into the museum of glass to use the facilities. It looks amazing so we’ll definitely be going back. Got to Bradford and had a quick bite at John Williams European Pastry shop then headed to Zippo. The museum/store is really cool. Definitely worth a visit. Plus, if you buy a lighter they give you a pipe insert if you ask. Thanks for the suggestions!