PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I recently acquired a tin of Wessex Gold Virginia Flake from Phill22. Since it was dated 12/12 and since it was a nice 55 degree evening in central Ohio, I decided to pop the tin, load up my Larrysson prince, and sit on the porch to enjoy the evening.
This was the first Wessex tobacco I have tried. It was nice out of the tin. I good clean tobacco scent and good level of moisture. It wasn't too moist or too dry. I just ripped up a piece and shoved it into my pipe and headed outside. It lit easily and stayed lit throughout the bowl. The best way I can describe this tobacco is in thirds.
1st third - Smoked easily but was pretty unremarkable. It just tasted like tobacco and it missed any of the usual Virginia sweetness I have become accustomed to. It wasn't bad just a little boring.
2nd Third (Best part) - Just when I was underwhelmed, a pleasant sweetness joined the party. It wasn't overly sweet, just very enjoyable.
3rd Third - the ash settled and the pipe clogged up a bit. I had to scrape off some of the ash and relight. I am sure this was an error somehow on my part but unlike usual the tobacco didn't relight and produce a bitter flavor. It picked back up with the sweet flavor.
Overall, I liked this tobacco. I don't think I will go out of my way to make sure I have it stocked at all times but I do look forward to finishing the tin and smoking it in different pipes as well as rubbing some out and cube cutting some.
20150330_203118-600x337.jpg

20150330_204744-600x337.jpg

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Nice of phil22 to share a cellared tin with you.

Thanks for the review, I am interested in all the Va and VaPer reviews folks have written right now. I do not understand why the bottom of the bowls I smoke tend to get bitter. I had always smoked only aromatic tobacco, until last year, and assumed it had to do with the top dressings cooking out :? It does not always happen but frequently does.

Status
Not open for further replies.