Went Antique Hunting Today, Help With One Pipe Please (Pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I went out to the swap meet/antique show again this month and scored a few pipes at $20 for the two.
I have always wanted an all briar pipe so when I saw that one I scooped it up. It is an "LHS Purex All Briar" that needs some TLC but I think I can help it. This finish is really messed up on this one. Looks as if it was sealed with something and it is all peeling off. But there are NO teeth marks on the stem which I thought was amazing. A sand and re stain should bring it right back to life. I have no clue on how to go about the re staining part of it though.
The bent pipe I picked up because I loved the blast on it. Seems like it will be a great flake smoker also which is a big bonus. Only thing is I can hardly tell what the brand name is! I can make out what I think is "Orleans" but there is a signature under that. Anyone know what it is?
Well I hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend. Thanks for any help or comments you can provide.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
As far as I'm concerned, you lucked out on that LHS! Allbriars don't come up often for auction on eBay and when they do one like yours would go for thirty bucks or more. Antique stores are the way to go!

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
How do the bowls look? The bottom in the top pic looks like it would be a great flake pipe.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The LHS probably has a thin spray coat of shellac. In it's degraded state alcohol will probably strip it pretty easy.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Flake

This video should help and pretty much a flake pipe is a pipe a person would prefer to smoke a flake out of usually a smaller bowl and in a similar design to the above pipe pictured above on the bottom. It's really a preference I mean you can smoke a flake out of anything but I rather have a smaller bowl.

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
Nice score Redbeard.
happy-048.gif

My luckiest find within an antique shop was a nice chair to sit in as my wife looked around.
I'd be interested to see the results of your pipe's reconditioning.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
What if you break up your flakes into a broken flake state or grind them to a crumble cake?

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
All in the matter of your preference.... I have done both but I know a lot of people will just rub them out. Which way is better? I would love to know honestly.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I don't know about the signature, but in my mind, 606 always brings up the Savinelli 606, which is a bent billiard...

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Acetone is what you need to remove varnish or shellac. Just rub it on with 0000 steel wool, don't soak the pipe in it. You don't want that stuff inside the bowl. I use my wife's fingernail polish remover that has acetone in it, and it works great. It will remove the seal without removing the stain.
Great looking LHS. Nice find.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I don't know about the signature, but in my mind, 606 always brings up the Savinelli 606, which is a bent billiard...
Looked up the Sav 606, and it seems to be roughly the same shape and dimensions of the pipe pictured above. Maybe one of our resident Savinelli experts could weigh in...

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Redbeard:
According to Wilczak & Colwell in their book titled "Who Made That Pipe?" Orleans was a brand manufactured by Jean Lacroix.
According to Jose Manuel Lopes in his book titled "Pipes - Artisans and Trademarks" Lacroix was a, "French brand by Jean Lacroix, a maker since 1956 and from a family with a strong pipe making tradition. Eugene, his grandfather, began in the 19th century, (sic) at the Delacour factory and, in 1921, his sons, Constant and Zenon, founded a small manufacturer. Jean and Andre Lacroix, Zenon's sons, prospered in the business, but separated in 1962 and Jean created his own company, which he set up in the former Delacour building. Between 1987 and 2001, the brand incorporated the Cuty-Fort Enterprises SA holding, and is part of the Confrerie des Maitres-Pipiers de Saint-Claude. The freehands are highlights among the top quality pieces. Ebonite and acrylic stems are used. Symbol: "L"."
Here is a link to the Lacroix page on the pipedia Website: Lacroix.
I hope that you find this information to be helpful.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for all of the info and tips on the route to take with the all briar pipe... Any other suggestions are sure welcome. I was thinking I may need to remove the seal and stain and re stain the whole thing. But what stain... If it needs to be sealed after... I have no clue.
As for the info on the unknown pipe. The signature on the pipe does seem to look like it reads J------- ---roix but it's hard to tell. I will continue my search on that brand because there is a stamp on the stem as well that is pretty faint. Thanks for the lead hunter.
Now for the comments on the scores. Me and the wife have made a tradition (two month long tradition but it must start somewhere right) to going to this big flee market/antique show that is held once a month. So far I have scored pretty well both times. It is an outdoor event that takes about 4-6 hours to get through the whole thing!! I am severely sun burnt but am still happy. I scored a couple cased DE razors while I was there as well.
Lastly, a flake pipe for me is a tall, skinny bowl of any shape really. I like to rub out my flakes or utilize the fold and stuff method. Depends on the tobacco, dryness, and my mood. So going with my criteria of which would be best for flakes, it would have to be the bent pipe. Although they will probably both get some VA/PER flakes smoked through them. :puffy:

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Missed this part, the 606 being a Savinelli pipe. I highly doubt it is unless it is some kind of second to their line.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I knew you guys would pin point the maker of that pipe. Thanks a ton!
So I started working with the all briar pipe and once I removed the TON of rim char and what seemed to be cake build up, I noticed the bowl was pretty messed up. :crying: someone really did a number while reaming the bowl. There is a ton of cake built up in this thing too. The hardest cake I have ever seen on top on that! I usually just use a pipe knife but I think this one will need a real reamer to do the job. I will need to get a senior reamer when I can get the money for it... I spent my funds at the antique show. :rofl: The only way I can see to fix the rim is to sand it down a bit but then that will totally mess with the shape. Suggestions welcome.
Also, in the second pic you can see what almost looks like burn through!! How is that possible so high in the bowl? The second pic is also after I used the advice to use acetone to remove the sealant that was on the pipe. Could I just use a pipe polish on it now or is there something else I should do first?
Thanks for the help on this one now. :D

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
That height in the bowl coulda been a jet lighter or they just light one side and smoked it really hard. I lean towards a stronger light flame but I don't use jet lighters so I can be way off.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Red:
I'll loan you my Sr. Reamer gladly. But I wouldn't be too concerned with the LHS being out of round. (Currently smoking an out round Charatan 2nd Tobacco Box Unique and it fares damn well alongside my better, more expensive burners.)
Out of round, beat to hell and gone, godawful caked burners should be simple roadblocks for estate buyers. I try to never damage the structural integrity of a pipe. I did it once and I don't think I'll ever do it again. They're war wounds and they will, I promise you, keep delivering the goods.
Fnord

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Red-

Your local B& M should be able to ream the LHS for nothing(if you buy a tin of baccy from them :wink:)

I'm with Fnord on this too-- Let it have a little character, you don't HAVE to make it new.
When I was a younger man, new and shiny was the way to go...... now that I'm old and a bit lazy, I prefer my pipes to look their age.. a few battle scars is good. Same with cars...... I'd MUCH rather have an old vintage car in original paint, a few scratches, battlewounds, etc, than one made "NEW" again.......just my 2 cents :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.