PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
Has anybody tried Wellauer Syrian Latakia? I may have found a small supply of it, but I have heard rumours that some Syrian is not legit. I have never heard of this company so I'm on the fence. Any thoughts?

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
Yes I bought one 100 g tin in Switzerland and used it to mix with SG Skiff Mixture. It seems to me of very good quality, though I couldn't say if is really all syrian...

Jun 27, 2016
I've smoked a bunch of it straight. Based on how it smokes, my take on it is that there is not Cyprian Latakia in there, and I don't think that the leaf is Burley. It seems to be smoked tobacco that tastes and smells similar to the Latakia in some other blends using Syrian that I have tried, such as Syrian Star. Most of this Wellauers Latakia is shredded, but I've found some more intact leaf pieces in there to unfold and inspect. It seems to be one type of leaf in the can, and ranges from dark brown to black in color, with smokey residue build-up. I can't say for sure, but I am inclined to believe that it is some type of Oriental leaf rather than Burley, if not the exact strain of Oriental leaf that was originally used from before the 60's. Can't say what was used to smoke it either, but it does not taste like Cyprian, and it seems close to what I taste and smell in some other blends with a good amount of "Syrian only" in them. It's a little damp in the tin, so are they adding Syrian flavoring? I don't think so. I think that they might be adding some moisture via alcohol to make tin-weight and preserve their stock. On the other hand, they may be adding a light flavoring to their stock of Syrian Latakia, in order to weigh it down and also to appeal to their main markets. I've sent some out to people as gifts or bonus bags, and some others have received it as part of my "Latakia Showdown Tasting Kits" which are still available here in the sales forum, shameless plug, so perhaps others who have smoked it can add their thoughts.

:puffy:

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
I really appreciate the replies. I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller. If he does have some available, I'll go ahead and get whatever I can.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
beforedays I was buying these Wellauers in Germany, they are still out there, can't comment about latakia though,since ain't smoking latakia containing mixtures no more,but If I recall correct the wellauer gives a pretty descent nic kick.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I just smoked a bowl of this treasure today and I'm impressed, again. Mixed it with a good amount of Virginia but man, this is delicious. Got a 100g tin about 2 years ago for under 20€. Now I see it's selling for 90€, in Switzerland.

When has the production of the Syrian Latakia actually stopped? Somewhere in sixties? Assuming that, was I smoking some leaf over 40 years old? After all the drama with MacBarens HH Vintage Syrian which was a mixture anyway I'm realising it's a privilege to have it in the cellar. :) I better mix it with extreme care and in small quantities, right?

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
I'm glad someone resurrected this thread, or I'd have missed it. Wellauer Latakia is wonderful stuff. I don't open tins too often, as I have a limited number of the older ones. But I recently got some tins from 2018, and it still seems to be the same blend. Have no idea how much Syrian latakia they have, if in fact that is what they still use, but however they manage it, the blend is still consistent with tins I have going back many years.
You all may already know this, but Wellauer Latakia Mixture is also a terrific blend, maybe one of the very finest English blends available (in my opinion, of course). If it were only easier to get in the states....

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Hopefully you are taking about two different blends, "Latakia" and "Latakia Mixture". The first one should be a pure Syrian, not a mixture. Haven't tried the second one yet, thanks for an idea.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Yes, two different blends (which is why I wrote "also"). And pure Latakia isn't really my idea of a fine English blend...although it sure is tasty. :D

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
One of our own members, Arno (who runs the wonderful Dutch Pipe Smoker website), does amazing research when posting his very informative blogs on pipes and pipe tobaccos. I've done my best to research different tobaccos over the years and was fascinated and garnered much helpful information by reading this blog written by Arno regarding Syrian Latakia -
https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/syrian-latakia/

Status
Not open for further replies.