Well, I'm Gutted - Ashamed To Call Myself An Aussie ....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Today is "Rememberance Day" when Commonwealth countries commemorate the end of WW2 which occurred on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, and we all buy little red silk Flanders Poppies to remember those who died in battle from WW2 until today and continuing, with proceeds going to war widows etc.
I feel sick to the pit of my stomach, my new pipe now has indents from reading this news story. Surely this couldn't/wouldn't happen in USA, would it????
I want to know who the hell this business is so I, friends and associates can avoid ever buying any of their products, using their services or supporting them in any way ... HOW DARE THEY ... and I’ll bet the vile workers who complained were of a specific, violent religious persuasion.
It’s one thing to pander to these displaced mongrels that come here in their droves, but this goes beyond anything I could’ve ever dreamed possible on this soil so many have died to keep safe and belonging to us, the true blue Aussies and those imports who come here but are grateful and pleased to be accepted e.g. the Vietnamese ... god help this bloody stinking mess of a country ....:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/latest/a/-/article/11580401/worker-told-poppy-is-offensive/
Where’s that famous Vietnam Vet "Angry Anderson" when we need him, he’d be mortified and have this business turned inside out & upside down, in the gutter, where they deserve to be.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
Given the sacrifices of the ANZAC corps during the world wars and after, I'd say this is a story designed to inflame. Though its always sad when they get the meaning of the poppy wrong. We wear it because of the sorrow we feel towards the wars and those who died, those once loyal.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Well if it was designed to inflame, it's sure as hell done the trick in this quarter. There wouldn't be a single, solitary True Blue Dinky Die Aussie who wouldn't be related to a soldier (or several) in their family tree, and if they sit on their complacent fat, ugly asses & say nothing, then they deserve a swift kick in the crotch imo.
FFS we got an absolute bushpig of a leader, she can't speak the Queen's English, is as dumb as doggy doo with less than 25% approval rating from the entire population and, to top all that off, she was born in Wales!!! I reckon if this happened in USA or UK, the President or PM respectively would come out and give that business a well deserved tongue lashing and force them to remove the guy's formal warning which actually entitles them to sack him. Not our Miss G., oh no, she'll be off cuddling Obama or getting tongue tied trying to justify the tax she said would never come in, bless her smelly little sox.
Phew, no wonder my mates tell me to stay away from the news, it's bad for my health.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
More than likely. For now I'm going to call my aunt in Oz and then listen to the Band Played Waltzing Matilda.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
IN FLANDERS FIELDS
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

-John McCrae
---------------
To remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice defending the world from evil, tyrrany and oppression.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Sadly, this stupidity is spreading and FAST.

FIFA tried to insist that "No Poppies Are Worn" during the coming Weekend's Football Matches. They were forced to back track when put under very considerable pressure, including HRH Prince William. Poppies may now be worn on the teams' Black Armbands.
The whole situation is too appalling for words. Surely, the Poppy, which is the recognised insignia of "The Fallen" should be regarded as just that?

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I remember as a kid many years ago getting those poppies on Veterans Day. I haven't seen them in years though. I'm not sure what happened to the practice here in the US. As for Paul, a big thumbs up for him for standing up for his beliefs.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
The song, "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" was written and sung by a dear mate of mine, Eric Bogle. I've actually sat under the Lone Pine at Gallipoli listening to it and there wasn't a dry eye to be seen.
Eric was great mates with John Schumann who wrong & sang "I Was Only Nineteen", a poignant but wonderful Vietnam song.
We all lived in the same town and I have every single album Eric has ever released. He always plays a special song for me at his concerts dedicated to my late partner that I played at his funeral, and it warms the wee cockles of my heart so very much that someone across the pond appreciates his music as much as I do, he is the most beautiful soul ... come share Rememberance Day with your Aussie Digger Mates boyz!
Eric Bogle: "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=471-ucVd7o0
John Schumann (RedGum) "I Was Only Nineteen":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXaczfR_lo0

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Thanks for sharing with us Aussielass. Very touching music for sure. God Bless all of our veterans on this special occasion and through the coming years.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I'm with you there Di,Fortunately our schools and the country hold a two minute silence on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11thmonth to rememeber Armastice day of the end of WW1 and to remember the fallen of two World Wars and those who gave their lives in all armed conflicts since then.They died so that we would be free of tyranny.I think Paul should have taken two poppies to work,one to wear and one to stick up that managers fat a*s.That's touching music you posted,thank you.As I recall Mark it was an Americal lady in New York was the first person,in 1921 ever to wear a poppy.it went quiet for a while then they became popular in 1923 when the Royal British Legion introduced them here.I seem to have read that a red silk ribbon is worn in the USA on Veterans Day. I think the sooner you dump that daft PM of yours the better and go back to being True Blue Diggers again.

Tom

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
Here, in the center of the country, the "heartland" of America. The spirit of patriotism still reigns over the politically correct idiots who currently run this country.
As in most of the small towns here in central Mo. we celebrate Veterans day with a parade, a breakfast for ALL veterans, a cocktail party and dance for them and most important of all...We remember their service to us and to our country.
To most of us, The little paper poppy is precious and honored.
God willing it always will be.
If this offends anyone....Too bad.
Dr. Sam USN (ret) Korea, Vietnam, and everything in between.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
There's no company name listed, and no apparent attempt at contacting said company for a rebuttal. this would lead me to believe this never actually happened and that it's a fabricated story, created to manipulate the population. be careful you know who's trying to pull your strings or you may become only a puppet.
here in the states we once had laws that kept news sources honest, but the machinery to abolish that was set in motion a few decades ago by a president many think was a hero.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Sadly it is not just in Australia that this sort of madness is taking hold. As mentioned above, the England football team were initially told that they couldn't wear poppies this year. I'm glad to say that this was over turned.
Here in the UK, last year someone actually burnt poppies on Remembrance Day in protest at the presence of British Troops overseas! On a similar line, nurses have been told they cannot wear a Crucifix on a chain as a Cross might cause offence. The world is becoming a madder place every day.....

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Sad...truely sad, yet indicative of the spirit of mankind these days. Everyone ought to get over their damn selves and get back to respecting, loving and helping one another to live satisfying lives. I don't care if the story is true or some inflammatory piece of propaganda. I am saddened by the attitude represented in the story that, as I said, seems to accurately depict a typical situation in todays "civilized" society. Every day I get nudged closer and closer to walking into the woods with a rifle, fishing pole and a bucket of tools never to return to what we so sadly call "civilization".

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
They want THEIR HOLY HOLIDAYS as "paid leave", then they also expect OUR HOLY HOLIDAYS as paid leave too, even though ours are against everything they stand for but, again, they want the infidels to pay wages twice. They dictate no word of "God" in OUR freekin' schools lest it offend some prophet or other and any gutless politician who doesn't stand up to them deserves to rot on the scrap heap of humanity.
No-one on this godforsaken planet is more opposed to organised religion of any faith than me, BUT, the day I ever dictate to someone what they can & can't do in terms of their faith or beliefs when not hurting another, is the day I stick my head in a gas oven.
All this kinda sorta makes me happy I'm in the last trimester of my life, I won't be around to see a certain "s" law reign supreme t/out most of the world, nor British f/ball teams unable to wear poppies, nor troops cemetaries swell to capacity where the residents died to prevent the unpreventable scourge.
P.S. Our media here is not allowed to publish lies, untruths etc & will get fined heavily for printing incorrect info - 3 journos & their bosses were sacked a couple of weeks ago for supposedly doing a live cross-over to a chopper in the sky which was actually parked at their TV station. There's no "Fox News" caper & BS over here & I have no doubt it is indeed very, very true.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Don't worry Aussielass, here in the states, where we celebrate "Veterans Day" we give full support to those who served in our Armed forces. Well, we give them lip service and allow them to be come despondent and attempt suicide at the rate of one every 80 minutes. That is a frightening statistic and hopefully caught someones attention that can do something about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/suicide_n_1070491.html
I'll be taking retired SGM Jones, my 92 year old Pop and a veteran of 33 years in the US Army out for dinner this evening. He survived WWII in the Pacific, Korea and Vietnam, all in an infantry division. I'm quite proud of my pop and will enjoy spending this evening with him.
I do have to add that the US Army has taken great care of my father in his advance age, providing expensive tools to help him read and hear. (Winchester WV Veterans Hospital)

maduroman

May 15, 2010
NO ONE tells me i can not honor my comrades, my country and her allies, my G_d or my family.
my old 1st Sgt said you have to pick what hill to die on, and that is one i shall stand proud untill the last shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.