Well I heard something from the college today.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Well I didn't tell anybody here that I was waiting for a word back...but I did get one!
Hah the status on one of my three applications is an affirmative. If I'd like it I could go in and learn the ways of being a Journalist but if I'd like to go in and get the know how to be an Electronics or Electro-Mechanical Engineer I'll have to complete a course before the program begins. I'm thinking I'll try for the engineering but I'm just going to have to make a choice on which one I'll pursue. A damn tricky choice for my mind to make.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
The engineering will certainly provide for some interesting (and lucrative) carrier opportunities. However, keep in mind that money isn't everything and is significantly less enjoyable to spend when you spend 8-12 hours a day doing something you hate. In short: do what you love and never look back.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Cortezattic: Which field would you dabble in if a paycheck wasn't involved?
Well I have put my hands on several electronics projects over the years. Enough that I already know how to read schematics and I've a pretty good hand for soldering. Electronics seems the likely culprit since I've already spent time with it and I've got a vested interest in it with electric guitars, the stuff you put in 'em, the amps that...amplify them, and all the stuff in between.
Hah if a paycheck wasn't involved? I'd probably try my best to be a luthier. Unfortunately the school I looked at for that costs a good deal of money and I figure that even if I start a career as an Electronics Engineer there's no reason I can't put money aside to also go to school for lutherie later. I'm a young man yet after all.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
wow, i'd had a reply ready until i read this.............Happiness is everything.
Ahhhh, choose wisely Grasshopper, but also choose for happiness

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I think your plan of socking some money away for luthier school is a good one, and coincidentally two of my favorite American carvers, Joe Nelson and Grant Batson, are also luthiers.
http://www.oldnelliepipes.com/guitars.html

http://www.gbatsonpipes.com/index.html

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
journalism and engineering could be more ying and yang.
You must be super smart since this is a left brain/right brain thing.
Double major and work out the details later.............
P.S. Congrats

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I've recently been talking with my lady about forgoing pursuing a career on the cutting edge of physics research for a simple career in electrical engineering, you can't go wrong! Hearty congratulations!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I hate to say it but get a degree that you can get a job from. I know a lot of people who get degrees that they can't find a job from. That being said journalism and engineering are both great.
Be warned engineering is a lot of math!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Watch out for the student loans. As a mortgage underwriter, I often see a young person with $30K in student loans working as an adminstrative assistant. That job can barely pay the bills. A doctor or lawyer can easily have $200K or more in debt. If you find you hate the career, you can't change, because you need to service that debt. In the US, bankruptcy can't get rid of student loans. Some economic bloggers are suggesting that student loans are going to be the next crisis, similar to the mortgage crisis.
Winton
Good luck in school, but keep your eyes open.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
@photoman13 Amen to that! degrees are only worth the effort IF they get you a career and job stability...SO important these days. of course you should do something you enjoy, but having a job that means you are fairly flexible on location AND a job that is in demand is really crucial these days...that said I think any of your options there would satisfy these criteria...possibly the journo career more than the others
and of course, of PRIME importance: which job will keep you in enough money to satisfy a lifetime of P.A.D.? and which job will afford you the most time to enjoy your pipe? as a journo you may be able to work from home and thus indulge more often than in an engineering job ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.