PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Assisted bulimia.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-approves-weight-loss-stomach-pump-aspireassist-combat-obesity-n592141
Meanwhile, it's a matter of time before all pipes are meerschaums with the words "SMOKING KILLS" carved into them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Morbid obesity is a mystery. All the prejudice notwithstanding, it is a puzzle how people can get vastly beyond even a supportable rotund weight, so the bone structure is buried in hundreds of pounds of excess. I surmise it is genetics leftover from food scarcity when binging was a survival mode, but when food is plentiful, the binge mode just won't turn off. There must come a point when a person is incapable of saying, "This is crazy! I'm a hundred pounds overweight."

Mar 1, 2014
Eating is a coping mechanism.

My dad has been 300lbs and up for basically his entire life (maybe 400?), he's the only one in his family like that, and after I found out that I hit 280lbs four months ago I changed my diet completely and started exercising (in fact I just finished half an hour on the bike). I'm reasonably happy with results, I can do more but losing 10lbs a month is good progress.

Dad gives excuses but there's no reason he has to eat the way he does and sit on the couch all the time. I can't believe that anyone is overweight without choosing to be that way.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
As I have grown older I find it hard to judge other people. It;s easy to say " stop eating and walk a little" but it may not be so easy to DO.
I am not living their lives, in their heads. I don't live with their demons.
If you eat you die, if you don't eat, you die....might as well eat.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
How ridiculous.
Not that someone might need a surgical answer to a weight problem, just that this seems ridiculous. What's wrong with gastric bypass???
It's done wonders for several people I know. The idea of pumping out the contents of your stomach just doesn't seem like a good thing.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
...smoke Burley
As some cases of weight gain have been linked to stress hormone cortisol [citation needed] and pipe smoking is a great way to reduce stress, this suggestion might be an advisable weight loss aid.
I'm going to coin a term for what I just did with my [citation needed] brackets as wikipediaing myself.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
How ridiculous.
Not that someone might need a surgical answer to a weight problem, just that this seems ridiculous. What's wrong with gastric bypass???
Yes, and putting in permanent or semi-permanent port in the body would seem to pose a huge risk for infection.
Also, in semi-related news, hot coffee and tea can cause throat cancer.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/health/coffee-tea-hot-drinks-cancer-risk/

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
While I have sympathy for them, I have learned the way to deal with demons is solid and dependable truths, not ambiguity. It's a paradoxical and counter-intuitive thing I have learned. At the same time, I recognize that good care begins with sympathizing with their struggles, and helping them past them, not judging or scorning (these lead to horrible results).

Status
Not open for further replies.