PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Hey folks.
Not sure where to begin, exactly--so I'll begin at the beginning. Skip to Bold for the short version.
8 years ago I graduated from high school. I did well on tests (got a 31 on the ACT, as an examlple), but as a scholar I was never better than middling. It was always a question of apathy rather than aptitude--I didn't care and I didn't try, and I did well enough to graduate and I thought that was fine. Mistake number 1!
Then came college. In my house, college was never discussed as optional--you went, and that was that. And even though I could have told my dear parents to stuff it (they weren't going to be paying for it, after all!), I'm not sure I would have wanted to even if I'd had the courage. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, and here was four more years to dither in figuring it out! So I picked the nearest University (where my best friend was also going), and I went without really exploring other options. Mistake number 2!
While I enjoyed college more than high school (and not for any reasons to do with vice), I didn't try much harder now than I had before. I did better, to be sure--that was the advantage of selecting my own courses, and the natural result of a system that awarded knowledge more than effort. And what was that coursework? I thought of it as The Humanities--I studied history, literature, philosophy, religion, art, language. On paper I'm credited with this; A Bachelor of the Arts with a double-major in History and English. Mistake number 3!
A terribly useless degree; what on Earth had I wanted that for?! The plan had been academia--three more years of school and a dissertation and I'd have what I needed--a PhD. Somewhere along the way that plan fell apart. I already had tens of thousands in debt, and could ill-afford 2 or 3 years more. But say I had gone ahead with it: what are the prospects for a newly-minted college professor in the Humanities in America today? A low-paying, shrinking profession constantly subject to budget cuts, and bankrolled by the indebtedness of future generations of students! So I gave up.
I took my degree, and entered the workforce financially ruined and utterly without prospects. That was four and a half years ago--and for all that time, I've been scratching out a living working long hours for bad pay at a number of different jobs. I did retail, I sorted packages at UPS, I applied for work as a janitor and was turned down. Most of all I fell into restaurant work. It's where I started 11 years ago when I got my first job the day I turned sixteen, and for the most part it's where I've been since. For a few years I could even say truthfully that my heart was in it. No longer. I'm tired. Tired of that look I see in peoples eyes when I tell them what I do for a living. Tired of working 65 hours a week between two jobs just to feel comfortable. And financially, I am comfortable--I paid off a loan this month, I have enough to set some aside, and I've even accrued a modest amount of tobacco--the bare beginnings of a cellar.
But I'm ready for a change. By next fall, I'll have enough saved up to take another crack at it, and this time without added debt. I'd like to take night classes in trade school at the local technical college--but I don't know in what field! My first thought was welding. The advantages seemed particularly appealing to me in this field; the short amount of schooling needed to become employable, the ready availability of jobs (I'm in the midwest), the fact that I'd get out of customer service. The opportunity to work with my hands (something I like about kitchen work).
Are there any welders on the forums? Are you happy with what you do? Are you pleased with the availability of work? The future prospects in the industry? Anyone doing similar work, or have an idea of something else I should look into? (as honored as I would be to serve, I should mention that the military isn't an option for me).
Thanks for reading. I know it was long. I'd be happy to hear from anyone!

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
For the reasons you stated are the reasons I never went to college. I didn't know what to do either. I still don't know what I would do now 35 years later. I chose to go to work in the nuclear weapons industrial complex instead. :lol: Now my son, who is 18 is going to a trade school to become an electrician. Like me when he thought about being a music teacher we told him what happens when you go to your first two years that you will be taking english, lit, scineces etc. all the classes he hated he said no way. That's when we steered him to go get a trade. His program is two years and because of the reputation of the school placement is 90% afterwards. I went back to high school months after starting my career to visit my old band director and he asked me how much I was making, ($18,000) he about shit and said hell that's what I make!!!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A good welder can go just about anywhere in the world, find work and make good money. There are a lot of plumbers and electricians doing well. You ever notice all the long haul semis with job offers on them, many offering training. There's a real shortage of drivers right now. There are welders on the Slope making well over a $100,00.00 annually working 2 weeks on and two off. You freeze a lot of the time. Want that? It's out there.
With a little drive, your customer service experience and a needed skill the world should be your oyster. A couple years of working for someone else learning to apply your skill and you could start your business.
If I was in your situation I'd determine where I wanted to be in 10 or twenty years financially. Work is always good. Satisfying work is so much better. Satisfying work that pays exceedingly well is the best. Have a plan! It doesn't need to be etched in stone but, you can measure progress with it and a plan really helps in the decision making.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
@mustang Exactly. And obviously I have no one but myself to blame for the choices I made--but I do wish that any one of the numerous people advising me at the time had cautioned me to be more...realistic. And I personally know a dozen or so folks with more or less the same story as mine. Wish I had chosen trade school from the start.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
@Warren, I think you nailed it. And Alaska tops the charts for welding work in the U.S.
Financially? I'd like to pay my debt early, and buy a small house on a bit of land, all while saving for retirement.
As a personal aside, that 'best friend' I mentioned earlier on took a degree in Criminal Justice and now works as a LEO! So I can appreciate and respect the career choice you made. Thanks for the input--I really am leaning strong towards welding.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You need to look where the world is going. Welding is a fine trade , and some of the finest worked for me at Exxon, Building units, turnarounds. It's a hard job, not easy as you get older. Cars are needing techs that are more computer oriented than Mechanics. Health care is exploding, X-Ray techs, medical device mechanics. Look around, don't narrow your field of options, if you worked Resturant work I know you're not lazy. Good luck to you. Oh my Father was a top welder for Brown & Root, got him out the Navy in 43, worked on Special Project for The Government. He died never telling us what he worked on, but I can guess.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Quit your wishing and get on with it! Quit comparing yourself with your peers! You made a mistake, learn from it. Mistakes are good if you learn from them. Set a goal! Any goal so you can measure progress or even figure out the goal is bad. Set another one. They're your dreams, live them. Life is good when you know where you are and where you want to go, especially if you are willing to suffer through your twenties and all of the accompanying angst I hear about. What do you want? Money? Security? Travel?
I was lucky, I knew the career I wanted when I was 5 or 6. I'm in my third career now.
You are brand new, hardly any miles, original paint and everything I suspect. So, make a decision and go for it. The worst you can do is make another early mistake while learning something.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Brad brings up another great point. What is the future of welding? How much of it can/will be automated? How much of it will be obviated by new materials technology?
But I figure even if I do choose welding now, it's not a life sentence. Maybe a few years' honest work at a good trade frees me up to take stock of other opportunities to go after.
Either way, I've got a several months to mull it over. Have to build up enough of a fund to quit or cut back at my night job so I can start taking classes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Here's a wee story which I think fits the discussion. A golfer came out of Texas in the early part of the 20th century. Pro golfers never made much money then. He wanted a ranch in Texas for his wife and himself. He worked hard, set money aside from his salary and winnings. As he got better, he became one of the best, he learned money management from members of the clubs where he worked off season, kept sight of his goal and quit the tour as soon as he afford his ranch.
He knew what he wanted, knew what he was good at, used his talent as long as necessary to get his dream. Focus on the dream and do what you need to do to attain it.
I feel for people without a dream. And, I am sad for those that quit on theirs. I hope I never run out of dreams.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
My story is much like yours, except I bailed out of University after 1.5 years.
Have you considered framing/carpentry? I pretty much fell into my job a bit over a year ago and really enjoy it. I was able to start with zero experience and am gradually building my way up. Framing, further schooling is available but not necessary. I know many successful folks who took no schooling, as well as one or two journeymen who couldn't build a lean to. I guess it's all relative.
Good luck whatever you decide.
 Wish I had chosen trade school from the start.
I felt like that too. (A friend if mine picked up a trade when he was maybe 22 and now runs a solid business.) Now I'm just glad to be where I'm at, with my mind made up and pretty decent prospects ahead.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Haha another great post, Warren, thank you. Some of that really 'hit home'. And you're right, of course. It's better to figure it out at 27 rather than not at all--ever since I decided to go back to school and quit wallowing I've felt better than I have in years.
Thanks again, guys!

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Now I'm just glad to be where I'm at, with my mind made up and pretty decent prospects ahead.
That's a good feeling. I have considered carpentry as well--in fact I'd almost call it plan B at this point. I was thinking maybe come spring I could get seasonal work in construction, see if I catch the bug.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
What is the future of welding?
I work as a Heat Treatment Technician, work with/alongside welders all the time. There are things in the industrial setting that will always be done by hand. There are occasionally machine welders but these are run by welders. All the jobs I go on are union. Long hours, away from home but you can earn a years salary in a few months. I used to be a logger, now make a months salary in a week. I like it because I value my time off. Check out the trades, pipefitters etc. they have been good for me.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Thanks Dave. The time off is definitely a a draw for me. I figure I either want to work as much as I do now (60-65 a week) and get paid a helluva lot more for it, or take home the same amount and work a helluva lot less. Either way, I'm decided.
Did you go to school for what you're doing now?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I kinda fell into it during spring shutdown in logging is the busy time for shutdowns in refineries. OJT and a few courses over the years. Another very good trade is Non-destructive Testing, X Ray and Mag-particle etc. Less labour intensive but good money and long hours. We generally work 84 hours a week. Oh yeah, the pension at the end of it, don't forget that.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Here's a wee story which I think fits the discussion. A golfer came out of Texas in the early part of the 20th century. Pro golfers never made much money then. He wanted a ranch in Texas for his wife and himself. He worked hard, set money aside from his salary and winnings. As he got better, he became one of the best, he learned money management from members of the clubs where he worked off season, kept sight of his goal and quit the tour as soon as he afford his ranch.
Warren, you're talking about Byron Nelson aren't you? Lets not forget this guy was one of the founding fathers of the modern golf swing. He wasn't scraping money together due to 10th and 12th place finishes, he was beating everyone. Problem was golf wasn't paying checks then like they do now. Someone now can have an entire golf career and make millions and never win a single tournament. Byron Nelson has many Major tournament wins, not to mention the record for most consecutive tournament entered wins.
The guy was beyond good.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm going to throw this out there, but do you have an interest in the tech industry? Interested in computers, and/or computer networking?
Technology is HUGE, and constantly evolving. I work in the IT industry doing network security, something that isn't going away anytime soon. The demand for people to support new infrastructure is massive, and seems there isn't enough people to do it. I love my job, I'm getting paid the most I've ever made, and lots of times I get to work from home and not have to go into an "office".

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Yeah, computers/IT have never really been my thing. My brother thinks I should learn SQL server code--he picked it up himself recently, and is doing very well out of it. I, on the other hand, can barely type! :nana:
Another friend of mine got a job as a software engineer out of college at IBM. There really is a lot of opportunity in IT, but it just doesn't seem to be in my wheelhouse.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Lord Byron could have won many more tournaments but, he attained the sum of money he wanted and went after his dream. He also got his butt spanked by a few other great golfers in his time. In my mind he's the greatest golfer ever. But, the way he lived his life just made him a great man. One doesn't need to be a golf fan to find Byron Nelson as a great roll model.
But we're not getting off his ass and into the workforce with all this Nelson talk.
Elbert! Get on it! I believe we're all pulling for you. Don't embarrass us. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.