PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak2000

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2018
Illinois, USA
alphaprimecomm.com
Have any of you seen anything like this before? I asked Steve Pipestud since I got it from him and he says he didn't even notice since he "sees so many of them" and called it a "looped stem". I call bullsh-t. Looks like someone filed a notch on either side of the button and there is no mention of this on pipedia or any other GBD I've ever seen online. Plus, what could possibly be the purpose of this extra "manufacturing" step?

Attachments

• 20191226_150325.jpg
    20191226_150325.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20191226_150251.jpg
    20191226_150251.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 56

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Never seen anything like that, own a few gbds and have crushed on quite a few online but thats a new one on me.

Im going with the "modified for an o ring or softy bit" theory. Unless maybe someone developed a lateral clench and modified it accordingly.

Reactions: diamondback

ak2000

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2018
Illinois, USA
alphaprimecomm.com
It's the original stem, inscribed "Hand Cut". I would like to simply take Steve's word for it, but there is no information that I have found that backs it up and no logical reason for these notches to be there in my opinion. I too have been collecting gbd pipes for a number of years and have amassed a bit of a collection, so I have some experience with them.

Reactions: BROBS

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually thats really neat. I have to say I have never seen anything like that ever before. The fact I am enchanted by that stem means whatever it is, it is certainly a one off addition to your collection. Maybe a rubber gromit on the stem would really work well.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I zoomed in on the pic at work..
looks home done to me. why? I couldn't tell you.. a better clench? oring install?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think the hand cut stamping is just a coincidence.

unless maybe someone ordered this directly from GBD or a reseller? I mean really anything is possible.

does the "hand cut" stamp match other GBD hand cut stampings?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've seen a dozen of so GBD's with "Hand Cut" stem stamps. Does your stamping look like these examples? I assume the stem has the GBD rondell?

One distinguishing feature of Hand Cut stems is all but one have had the round, what I call the "bullet style" tenon. The lone exception was the Prehistoric finish Cavalier shape (3rd stem down), which instead had a beautifully funneled tenon. (and that was the only Prehistoric I've seen with a Hand Cut stem stamp).

I've seen a lot of GBD catalogs and never seen a button like. I'd say pretty confidently that is not original to the stem as it came from GBD.

ak2000

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2018
Illinois, USA
alphaprimecomm.com
I've seen a lot of GBD catalogs and never seen a button like. I'd say pretty confidently that is not original to the stem as it came from GBD.

Exactly my thinking which is why I asked Steve about it after received. He was pretty dismissive about it. Plus it wasn't shown in the listing. On the other hand I honestly didn't even consider this particular pipe when I bid on the lot it was included in. I got a very good deal on the group of GBD pipes this was a part of and extremely happy with the rest.

Reactions: rmpeeps
Status
Not open for further replies.