PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Seafarer

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Texas
I just received a beautiful block meerschaum that I won on Ebay, and my excitement was soon dashed when I took a whiff of the bowl and smelled the unmistakable pungent odor of a particular illicit herb. I don't judge those who partake, but I hate that anyone would ruin a pipe like that.

20220721_140824.jpg

It isn't extremely strong, but I have a great sense of smell. I'm guessing it was only used once or twice for that herb.

Am I just out of luck, or is there a way to clean meerschaum and remove the smell?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've noticed an uptick in pot use in meerschaum pipes on YouTube whenever I search for meerschaum videos.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

Seafarer

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
Texas
I guess to each their own. But it's sad when they use a nice vintage one. And it's frustrating when they sell it without disclosing.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
I just received a beautiful block meerschaum that I won on Ebay, and my excitement was soon dashed when I took a whiff of the bowl and smelled the unmistakable pungent odor of a particular illicit herb. I don't judge those who partake, but I hate that anyone would ruin a pipe like that.

View attachment 158168

It isn't extremely strong, but I have a great sense of smell. I'm guessing it was only used once or twice for that herb.

Am I just out of luck, or is there a way to clean meerschaum and remove the smell?
If you have a great sense of smell. My suggestion is to never buy an estate pipe again.