PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
With the exception of homegrown stogies, I haven’t purchased any cigars in a long time. I used to enjoy guantanamera and Quintero y hnos.

one of my wife’s best friends is getting married and I’ve been landed with the job of supplying cigars for the bridal party as a surprise.

since cigars are exempt from the import restrictions to NZ, I’m thinking of ordering some from SPC. I’ll still have to pay roughly $50us in duty per 50g.

wondering if anyone can give some recommendations for what I should look at? It’s a bit overwhelming looking at all the options, and to be fair, I think they are wanting the cigars more for looks and a bit of fun. There is only a couple of them which would have smoked one in the last year.

cheers

Sep 18, 2015
Since taste is subjective that’s a tough ask. The only suggestions I can make are based on what I like,
For really good budget smokes have a look at Curivari and Blackbird these are highly underrated and smoke well above their price point, most are med bodied and full flavored.
the Rojas Street tacos are another med/full that won’t break the bank.
Black Label Trading Co, Deliverance Porcelain is a very smooth, slightly stronger smoke.
if you want to splurge a bit you can’t go wrong with Padron

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I work in a cigar shop and we get guys in every week looking for a box to bring to the wedding. We usually point them in a mild to medium that’s not to big. I usually recommend the Ashton. It’s good quality moderately priced and not so strong as to get anyone sick. The white band is a nice touch too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Weddings are emotional festivals and people tend to over eat and drink. Plus, people who have never smoked a cigar before will light one up, so you or a friend might give a little low key instruction, and offer help with a cigar cutter (not letting any beginner do this themselves) and maybe remove the band for them.

By all means, at whatever price level, go with the mild end of the spectrum. Inexperienced drinkers and smokers, plus others who are over-emotional and/or elderly, may be having trouble keeping down their food.

But it is a fine gesture to offer cigars. The real cigar smokers will thoroughly enjoy it, a nice surprise, even if they usually smoke the nicotine monsters. I haven't often been offered a courtesy cigar, so I remember the experiences well.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I work in a cigar shop and we get guys in every week looking for a box to bring to the wedding. We usually point them in a mild to medium that’s not to big. I usually recommend the Ashton. It’s good quality moderately priced and not so strong as to get anyone sick. The white band is a nice touch too.
A great recommendation. And if you're the Dave I think you are, in the shop I think you are referring to, your recommendations to me have always been excellent.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
So two other questions.

Roughly How much does a single stick weigh? Obvious that this will vary depending on the length and ring gauge - just thinking along the lines of duty tax

also, do any brands come in metal boxes? I tried searching SPC but couldn’t pull anything up.

Reactions: JOHN72

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
So two other questions.

Roughly How much does a single stick weigh? Obvious that this will vary depending on the length and ring gauge - just thinking along the lines of duty tax

also, do any brands come in metal boxes? I tried searching SPC but couldn’t pull anything up.
One website says:
So you have to translate 25 oz plus box to grams : 708.7381 grams. That can't be right can it ??

Sounds cost prohibitive. Is their a cigar store nearby that could provide the needed supplies ?

ARTURO FUENTE CURLY HEAD DELUXE NATURAL -​

Weight, 1 oz. Brand. Arturo Fuente. Size. 6 1/2 x 43. Quantity. BOX OF 25. Strength. Medium-Mild. Country of Origin. Dominican Republic. Connecticut Wrapper.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
If you search New Zealand Cigar dealers you will find an online retailer. They have a drop down menu of cigars under $35.00 each ... Yes that $35.00 for one cigar in New Zealand. Most run in 20-25 dollar range.
I would try there rather than try to import cigars and deal with bureaucrats and paperwork.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72 and Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Yeah I’m familiar with the online retailer canteros, they are essentially the only tobacconist in my country now.

since cigars are exempt from the import legislation, I can literally order them from SPC, and then get sent a bill. This works out quite a lot cheaper than buying locally.

I’ll start looking through the options you guys have suggested. Really appreciate that help

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Yeah I’m familiar with the online retailer canteros, they are essentially the only tobacconist in my country now.

since cigars are exempt from the import legislation, I can literally order them from SPC, and then get sent a bill. This works out quite a lot cheaper than buying locally.

I’ll start looking through the options you guys have suggested. Really appreciate that help
In that case I second the recommendation of any cigar made by Arturo Fuente ... they are mild to medium and tastier made in Dominican republic. Maybe write to them and have them sponsor the wedding as a cigar smoker event ! :ROFLMAO: Nicaragua and other countries tend to be stronger, spicier and more peppery to me ... as with everything else its a matter of personal preference ! Good Luck. Best wishes ! Maybe have them print "Don't Do It !" on the wrapper !!

Status
Not open for further replies.