PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was also tempted by the acorn, but I’m not big on bamboo. Hell of a price for a weaver though, was hard to resist.....?
No kidding, out of the pipes of his with ivory that I have, and the one with hippo tooth, I didn't have a pipe with mammoth ivory.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
They found a full tusk... apparently valued @ roughly $50k! All harvested by a Russian white trash with a hose. ?

also frozen Mastodon poo. So fresh it still smelled like Latakia!
Haha, well good for them. I’d rather chase something with a little higher odds of success. I could probably make $50K working at McDonald’s in the time it took them to find that damn thing.

Didn’t realize mastadon poo smelled like amazing smokey deliciousness!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
They found a full tusk... apparently valued @ roughly $50k!

There's a store in downtown Anchorage (don't remember the name but it's next to a nice restaurant and they share the same entrance; the restaurant might be The Alaskan Brewing Co) that had a full mammoth skull with both tusks complete. IIRC the asking price was $185K. I do know it's not there anymore (the skull; the store still is).

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
There's a store in downtown Anchorage (don't remember the name but it's next to a nice restaurant and they share the same entrance; the restaurant might be The Alaskan Brewing Co) that had a full mammoth skull with both tusks complete. IIRC the asking price was $185K. I do know it's not there anymore (the skull; the store still is).
The restaurant is Glacier Brewhouse. Downtown is laden with little trinkit shops like that. Tourist traps, haha.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
The restaurant is Glacier Brewhouse. Downtown is laden with little trinkit shops like that. Tourist traps, haha.
That's the one. Great beer and food.

Tourist traps aren't all that bad if you're open to them.

Anymore the only place I purposely shop when there is The Alaskan Mint. It started with my mom or dad sending me something from there every now and then and I would get some sort of ingot type thing when visiting. Mom and dad aren't with me anymore but I order something online about once a year as a keepsake. Starting a collection for my daughter now too.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That's the one. Great beer and food.

Tourist traps aren't all that bad if you're open to them.

Anymore the only place I purposely shop when there is The Alaskan Mint. It started with my mom or dad sending me something from there every now and then and I would get some sort of ingot type thing when visiting. Mom and dad aren't with me anymore but I order something online about once a year as a keepsake. Starting a collection for my daughter now too.
Yeah, they do a great job there (especially with barleywine) and their food is excellent. Kevin is a great brewer.

The mint is a cool place, lots of fun stuff. And yeah, the tourist shops are kind of cool and have fun stuff to look at. Just not buy, hahaha. Cool tradition for your parents/daughter.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
That looks like a Bing's Favorite of which I'm quite fond. First pipe by that maker I've seen that wasn't blasted.