PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I bought this tin a month and a half ago and have been saving it for closer to Christmas. I decided to break it open today. I was really looking forward to smoking this Christmas offering from C&D.

When I opened it and took a smell, I was greeted with a wonderful bread pudding like sweetness; it smelled like a lite aromatic. I’ve never smoked anything with Katarini Turkish leaf. To the eye, the Blend looks like the red and bright Virginians are the majority with a smaller percentage of black Cavendish and Turkish proportionally.
Overall, I was a little underwhelmed. The first half of the bowl had some fleeting cinnamon and subtle Vanilla, Cavendish like flavor notes. But, honestly, not as much of an aromatic as I was expecting. The Virginia tobacco carries the flavor profile. I’m guessing the subtle spice I pick up is the Turkish leaf? I really focused on smoking this slow, sipping along the way searching for more of the subtle flavors. The last half of the bowl was characterized by a smooth tobacco flavor with earthy, sometimes tangy spice.
The cut of the tobacco and moisture out of the tin was good. This tobacco smokes cool and clean all the way to the bottom.
The good news is my wife said the room note was “nice”. As she was walking out the door to go shopping, she said I might let you smoke that in the house, it doesn’t smell like “bad monkeys” ?
A comment she has coined, to describe anything resembling an English or even English aromatic blend she catches a wiff of if I am transitioning from the house on the way outside to smoke.
That being said, I think I will try jazzing this up a little with a pinch more Cavendish and maybe Izmir and a Skosh of Latakia?. Of course, that will probably qualify for “bad monkey aromas“ ?and result in me retreating to the garage or greenhouse for a smoke.
With a major cold front headed for Idaho over Christmas , I will enjoy smoking this in the house through the holidays.?
I’d be interested to hear others opinion on this blend.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Good review. I’m almost through a tin and I enjoy(ed) it. Yeah, nobody wants their house to smell like bad monkeys?
What were the significant flavor notes that you picked up while smoking this.
I’m going to smoke this again tomorrow to see if I pick up something different.

Reactions: STP

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
For me, what I noticed most is a clean, herbal flavor that I assume comes from the Turkish leaf used. The other toppings, vanilla and cinnamon, are there but pretty light. I like the blend but I'm not going to stock up on it.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I am posting an entry to recant a little of my original assessment of We Three Kings. Since my original first time smoking of this blend, I have smoked it in three different pipes. Today smoking it in a large bowled, billiard that really made this blend come alive. Additionally, I have to say, that the 100 proof rye whiskey went a Long way towards complementing the smoke that made me a fan of this blend. So much so, that I ordered another couple of tins to put away. A bonus factor is that this tobacco is wife approved and does not contain bad monkey syndrome. I will be enjoying many wonderful smokes of this through the winter months sitting by my nice warm wood stove.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
For a number of years now from Thanksgiving well into the New Year I go on a Christmas aromatic blend bender.

I've been enjoying a number of blends I've stocked up on & this year's offerings have been The Country Squire Figgy Pudding (my latest favorite), Sutliff Christmas Spice, Peretti's Yuletide 2016, & Uhle's Christmas Blend 2011.

Last week after finishing the last of the Christmas Spice I finally cracked one of the tins of We Three Kings I picked up when it first came out in 2014 but never got around to smoking.

While I haven't finished the entire tin, first impressions are extremely favorable. We Three Kings in this "aged" form is not at all like those other aromatics I've been enjoying. It's not as heavily topped/cased & clearly a different animal in terms of aromatics.

The addition of a Turkish Katarini to the cavendish & Virginias makes We Three Kings a different animal altogether & really separates it from what are often referred to as "Goopers". The tobaccos are much drier than the usual PG-laden aromatics & burn beautifully with minimal relights. The Oriental leaf adds a unique but not off putting sourness to the taste & a significant richness to the room note. Generally Cornell & Diehl blends haven't for some reason been my cup of tea, but if the current version of We Three Kings is anything like my old tin, I'd highly recommend it!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
For a number of years now from Thanksgiving well into the New Year I go on a Christmas aromatic blend bender.

I've been enjoying a number of blends I've stocked up on & this year's offerings have been The Country Squire Figgy Pudding (my latest favorite), Sutliff Christmas Spice, Peretti's Yuletide 2016, & Uhle's Christmas Blend 2011.

Last week after finishing the last of the Christmas Spice I finally cracked one of the tins of We Three Kings I picked up when it first came out in 2014 but never got around to smoking.

While I haven't finished the entire tin, first impressions are extremely favorable. We Three Kings in this "aged" form is not at all like those other aromatics I've been enjoying. It's not as heavily topped/cased & clearly a different animal in terms of aromatics.

The addition of a Turkish Katarini to the cavendish & Virginias makes We Three Kings a different animal altogether & really separates it from what are often referred to as "Goopers". The tobaccos are much drier than the usual PG-laden aromatics & burn beautifully with minimal relights. The Oriental leaf adds a unique but not off putting sourness to the taste & a significant richness to the room note. Generally Cornell & Diehl blends haven't for some reason been my cup of tea, but if the current version of We Three Kings is anything like my old tin, I'd highly recommend it!
Nice review and dead on.

Reactions: Fralphog