PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
http://www.marcusbrotherton.com/2012/02/in-honor-of-lt-buck-compton-1921-2012.html
There are fewer of these men every day. :cry:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
As a Belgian who had his military stints in the areas of Arlon, Bastogne and the like... I have a tremendous respect and gratitude for those that fought in the Battle of the Bulge. None less than the 101st. It is sad that that generation is slowly moving on. There's very few left now.
A great man who will be missed.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
My grandpa was one of those fewer, too. He was a WW2 pilot, managed to make it home from the pacific, even after being shot down twice.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yeah, they talk more about the Nazis than about America's Greatest Generation. When I was in High School I did a report on Winston Churchill and most of the people in my class had no damn idea who he was.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
May he rest in peace.

I read Tom Brokaw's book "The Greatest Generation" and would recommend everyone to read it. Why this is not taught in school history beats me. We would not be here today were it not for their unselfish dedication to our country and freedom. Bravo to all our veterans.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I remember seeing Tom Hanks doing an intro to Band of Brothers, saying something along the lines of "men like you're about to see did nothing short of save the world"
He was calling for a national WW2 memorial... I'd say it's long overdue.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
Rest in peace sir and thank you,my grandfather is 91 and his health is not the greatest either he was wounded dec 24th 1944 he never talks about it but i do have his army jacket with a pic of my grandmother still in the pocket.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My two daughters were fortunate, they both were able to listen in class to their Grandparents talk about their experiences during World War II. We have a tape of it somewhere, I have to locate that. My father was in the Pacific in World War II and my mom was a Hungarian refuge. They met in Linz, Austria when my father was an Army detective working with the Austrians when Linz was divided between US and Russian forces. There is a really good movie made set in Vienna that sounds like what he witnessed, "The Third Man". It's a great flick.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041959/

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Its too bad it took our wonderful gov't until 2004 to dedicate a memorial to these warriors. At my Marine Corps Ball in 2003, the guest of honor was a 80+ year old SSGT named SSGT Leslie. I'll never forget it. He looked sharp in his dress blue alpha uniform with his white hair. He gave my unit a Japanese flag that he took a from a soldier he killed. Man that was an awesome night. Good night Chesty, wherever you are.

logandow

Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
It saddens me to think all the heroes from WWII are dying out. Just a couple of years ago my father treated one of the men who flew on the last bombing mission to Japan in WWII

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
My Uncle Robert served with the 29th Infantry from 1942 through the end of the war. Won two bronze stars and one Silver star. He landed with the first wave on Omaha beach on D-Day. He was a great man that I had the utmost respect for! He pasted away last month at the age of 91. I will miss him dearly. I will smoke a bowl in honor of Buck Compton tonight as I did for my Uncle last month. If there is a Heaven I bet they are up there right now smoking a bowl and telling war stories. God Bless all our Veterans and God Bless America. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart!! HOOAH..

Status
Not open for further replies.