PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Not sure what I've gotten my hands on here in terms of smoking quality, but it looks really cool. It's a WDC "Marlborough" -- a chunky, but fairly small, sitter with a double airway stem. Someone would know for sure, but it looks to be a 1920s design, and looks to be in pretty decent shape. Absolutely an impulse buy.
Still working on the cleanup, but I figured out that the airway in the top of the stem loops around to the bottom piece of the stem. The smoke exits through one hole in the bottom part of the stem into a little chamber (like a Peterson System). The actual draft hole is a second hole within the bottom section of the stem that then pulls air out of the little system-like chamber, through the stem and out to the smoker's mouth.
nYJcmwN.jpg

ONIU37p.jpg

EPhnPnk.jpg

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I think it's earlier than the 20s. I think it's 1890s - 1900s. That's based on the style and the gimmick. Looks more art nouveaux than art deco to me.
Nice pipe.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Interesting about the date. I know Ben Rapaport has a WDC catalogue from the 1880s or so posted on his site, but I wonder if there aren't some later ones posted around somewhere. That might provide another clue as to the date.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, papipeguy. It's all pretty much done, except for some stubborn tar on the rim. The usual whiskey isn't up to the job, so maybe I'll look for some higher proof stuff.

May 31, 2012
I think it's an interesting pipe,

I've seen them pop up and was always fascinated by them.
I was hoping to find a patent somewhere but no such luck.
CPF made one called the Cromwell which looked almost exactly the same.

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_Pipe_Factory
CPF was part of KBB from about the late 1880's until around 1915.
CPF+Cromwell.jpg

Are the hallmarks faux?
One possible way of dating it is through font research (trying to determine when that style was popular),

that's a beautiful font they use for Marlborough!

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Both the pipes are neat and unusual, thanks for sharing the photo's. That's what I like about this forum, folks sharing things I probably would never know existed, especially from yesteryear.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks for the link and pic, mlc. I saw a similar pipe, which I think was a WDC, sell on ebay a while back. I'll let you know how the "font research" goes. LOL

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Steve Laug just finished a similar, but slightly more elegant model.

https://rebornpipes.com/2017/07/01/out-damn-spots-a-c-p-f-cromwell-double-vertical-stem-bent-billiard/comment-page-1/#comment-21442
cromwell46.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.