PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Do we have some kind of the Security System in our Forum?

Upon my recent experiment I think we do need some security in our PM.

Through a "PICTURE GAME" CONTEST our Preferred member "hfearly" collect my Name and Address.

I don't know what kind scam is and what he's doing with it but I am really curious about this matter.

Sometime I see a F/S(For Sale)pipe topics in our Forum. I do believe our honorable members.

But if a dishonest seller do not send out pipes after he get money what we could do?

As fact as we do not know any info about seller.

Ebay has a kind of security system. I could get refund through the Resolutin center and they do have

a Guarantee system. Don't you think we need some system for a better belief between members

and our Forum PM Security?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am pretty sure forum rules say that you buy from here at your own risk.
+1
People on this forum have been taken advantage of so you really do need to exercise caution (FWIW, I've not heard anything bad about hfearly).
I won't buy from just anyone nor will I sell to just anyone. If I get a bad vibe (no matter how trivial), I will refrain.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have bought from, I think, 6 different people on here and have never had any issues. In fact, a couple bent over backwards to help me out.
Good point - I should say that the odds are well in your favor on this forum. We've got a fine group of people here.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Buy/Sell/Trade section is STRICTLY at your own risk. Get to know folks on the forum and that will serve you well.
If you buy a pipe or item and use Paypal, you have high level of protection thru their system and your bank. Essentially it is the same as Ebay - well, I say better. If you go straight to Paypal, it is a much more efficient system than the convoluted system Ebay makes you work through. I learned this first hand in a classifieds purchase on another forum, where the seller never sent the item. I called Paypal, sent in my evidence and communications (numerous PM's and emails to the seller and his list of excuses). They froze his account until I said the item was delivered.
Do save all communications with the seller (I save to PDF). Those were very important in adding credibility to any claim if necessary.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I do not know yet. "hfearly" locate oversea. Canada I do guess. But curiously I do wonder

Why he asked me my name and address with a fake contest winning surpise packt and what he did with it?

I do hope any heard from "hfearly".

I do believe all our member with honor and Own risk rule.

But questioned to forum as a Alarm to our members upon my experiment.

Just more be careful give out personal info is better and needed.

+1 Paypal is a good point and system.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
There have been a couple issues lately with personal addresses being made public. I guess I don't see the big issue. I mean a simple Google search will usually turn up far more information than that on a person. I could understand if we were talking about birth certificates or SS numbers, but what's the concern with addresses?

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
To paraphrase Inspector Clouseau of the Serte’:
I trust everyone and I trust no one. :crazy:

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
You might be right. But when I did watch You-Tube YABO or YAPO video.

May be we could find out some concern.

Now any suggestions to make our Forums better?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
"hfearly" has had no ads in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of this forum.
I think we have a language issue understanding your problem.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Contests aren't allowed on the forum, so not sure what thread you are talking about. Don't call out members by name unless they have wronged you. If you suspect something fishy bring it up with a mod.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
OK, figured it out. You won this contest sponsored by "hfearly" but havent yet rec'd your "prize":

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/picture-game-which-tobacco-in-which-pipe
This is why "contests" are not allowed on this forum - somehow we missed this one.
I'm going to close this thread, please PM me if you need additional help.

Status
Not open for further replies.