PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've just recently tried this blend and have had a limited number of bowls but there's something about it I can't figure out.

The bag note is good and the retrohale is phenomenal but there's a flavor lurking in the blend I can't identify. It reminds me of a kind of burnt olive oil taste I get from certain blends like GH&C Kendal Black Cherry or Black Irish X.

It's not really a"burnt" flavor by itself but more like the burnt flavor of char marks on a grilled steak.

Am I safe to assume it's the Dark Fired Kentucky?

Without the wonderful retrohale flavor I probably wouldn't give this blend another thought but it really is that good.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I've just recently tried this blend and have had a limited number of bowls but there's something about it I can't figure out.

The bag note is good and the retrohale is phenomenal but there's a flavor lurking in the blend I can't identify. It reminds me of a kind of burnt olive oil taste I get from certain blends like GH&C Kendal Black Cherry or Black Irish X.

It's not really a"burnt" flavor by itself but more like the burnt flavor of char marks on a grilled steak.

Am I safe to assume it's the Dark Fired Kentucky?

Without the wonderful retrohale flavor I probably wouldn't give this blend another thought but it really is that good.
I have smoked pounds of this stuff! I also believe there is a small amount of DF in it. As you said....it really is THAT good! Maybe someone has a definitive answer on the DF?

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Good stuff. I only have to take this a little slow, since I really have to push it to make it harsh. The consistency of this smoke is a standout from beginning to end. Mildly sweet but no overly so otherwise just consistently pleasant. I wonder if the earthy flavor instead of more nutty flavor (mentioned in reviews) is what your experiencing... my non-refined palate is only able to detect slightly sweet, less nutty, and delicious.

Oct 7, 2016
But, if they decide to support the forums, I would give them a shot.
Ernie is not the owner. The question of “supporting the forums” has come up, though. Why not?

Well, I don’t know the possible answers to that question, but can thank of a couple that just might have influenced the owners decision. For only one, it seems that one frequent (very frequent) poster never misses an opportunity to claim that the Sutiff constituents Ernie uses (and freely admits to using) are much better by themselves than they are after Ernie recases, tops or otherwise modifies them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why the need to express it at every conceivable opportunity is still a mystery to me.

Just speculating about what an owner who looks over the threads about Watch City might see. If I owned the business, I wouldn’t be in a rush to become a sponsor here.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Watch City Slices reminds me of a light version Peterson Irish Flake. I love both. I wish I would have jarred my Slices sooner as the rum topping evaporates quickly which weirdly enough seems to make it burn hotter for me .

but can thank of a couple that just might have influenced the owners decision. For only one, it seems that one frequent (very frequent) poster never misses an opportunity to claim that the Sutiff constituents Ernie uses (and freely admits to using) are much better by themselves than they are after Ernie recases, tops or otherwise modifies them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why the need to express it at every conceivable opportunity is still a mystery to me.
For the record, that is not me. Saying that Sutliff makes something good, doesn't sound like something I would say, ha ha.
But, that is a petty reason not to join. I would think that setting an unruly poster straight would be worth the money. As just another business posting, people could blow that off rather easily,... but as a sponsor, they sort of get the royal regards. But, anyway... it would be nice to see more of the businesses that do scan our pages contribute. Those that don't, don't get my money. puffy

Watch City Slices is one of my top 10 favorite blends to date! Ernie was truly inspired when he thought this one up SUCKS!

DO NOT BUY THIS BLEND...

Seriously, If you are a fan of Burley and you want to try a delicious, complex (is it allowed to use Burley and complex in the same sentence? Yes. I believe it is... puffy ) blend, you should grab a bit of this.

And for the record, I would be inclined to spend more money at Watch City if he was a sponsor. 90% of my purchases are made at sponsor sites. There's that damn 10% ya just can't get anywhere else....

Watch City Slices is a complex, flavorful blend, while HH Burley Flake, well, it's tobacco and contains nicotine. I buy the former, and won't be buying any more of the latter.
HH Burley Flake is a high quality burley flake that I hold in high esteem. No foo foo fluff toppings or casings. The chocolatey, molasses, juniper-like woodiness aromas and taste are all made by the blend and proper fermentation. This is honest tobacco. There's just enough Virginia introduced to add some sour tanginess. This is one of Mac Baren's best Home Runs.

If I were an all day smoker, this one would see a lot of time in my pipes. Being a once a day, this is will always be in my regular rotation.

Oh, and it's almost always in stock somewhere. puffy

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
HH Burley Flake is a high quality burley flake that I hold in high esteem. No foo foo fluff toppings or casings. The chocolatey, molasses, juniper-like woodiness aromas and taste are all made by the blend and proper fermentation. This is honest tobacco. There's just enough Virginia introduced to add some sour tanginess. This is one of Mac Baren's best Home Runs.

If I were an all day smoker, this one would see a lot of time in my pipes. Being a once a day, this is will always be in my regular rotation.

Oh, and it's almost always in stock somewhere. puffy
I'm definitely in the minority, it appears. But I'm one of those guys that goes to Solani ABF when I want my Burley fix, so we know there's something screwy with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.