PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I'm a huge sucker for these burley-forward blends with a bit of latakia in the background, like Junkyard Dawg, or Match Country Doctor. This has become a go-to driving blend for me, because it smokes very cool, stays lit, and leaves a nice "car note." I suppose this meets the standard of "aromatic," but to my taste the tobacco is forward, and the topping is way in the background.

The tobacco flavors are a bit of molasses and brown sugar, with an overall sweetness which is likely from the cavendish. The latakia gives a bit of smokiness in the background, but it's more like scotch finish than campfire smoke. The burleys seem to be forefront for most of the bowl. Mainly a nut and oat taste with a bit of chocolate in the background, like eating trail mix while hiking. The flavor profile is pretty uniform throughout the bowl. The lingering taste is a general sweetness, which is actually pretty pleasant to me. There is a bit of nicotine, but it doesn't come close to making me woozy. This is one of those blends that I order 2oz of, thinking it'll last, and then I rip through it in a couple of days.

I use the ol' codger scoop for this blend, it's easy to over pack due to the cube cut. Smoked exclusively out of a basket pipe (morgan bones) for fear of ghosting, but it didn't.

For me: 5/5, absolute banger.

I obviously have no idea how to do reviews, so I'll make up a scale:
5/5 - one of da big boys. Supa mario bruddas 2 of pipe tobacco.
4/5 - Bretty gud, I'll order some to keep around. Nice.
3/5 - Solid, finished the tin/bag. Probably won't order more. Maybe.
2/5 - Didn't finish tin/bag because I'm a picky spoiled brat. I could have tho.
1/5 - Actually couldn't finish the tin/bag.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I haven’t found anything from Watch City that isn’t solid as fuck.

ordering 2 oz is like playing “just the tip”.

Same.

And yeah, I ordered 2oz each of two blends, and when they arrived I immediately ordered a bunch more of the same two blends lol. Watch City is absolutely ace. Shhh, don't tell anyone ;)

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I love the DCC, really killer stuff. It's my favorite WCC blend after 558, and one of my very favorite burley blends period. It has coumarin, if I'm not mistaken, but it doesn't ghost IME. Ernie has a very light hand with flavorings, for the most part, which I really appreciate.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Very good review and spot on. Deluxe Crumb is tasty.

But I will join the others in saying "hush". We don't want Ernie's blends to become unobtainium now, do we?

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
Oh I totally agree, I meant to be tongue in cheek with that. During the big Bones craze, somebody that didn't like them called them "basket pipes with great marketing," which gave me a chuckle.
Did the Bones craze end? I still see them all over Instagram and Reddit. BTW, not a hater, I have 2.

Reactions: dmcmtk

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Smoking some now. I really enjoy this blend but I have found it does require some dry time. Thanks for the review.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Did the Bones craze end? I still see them all over Instagram and Reddit. BTW, not a hater, I have 2.

It's still ragin' baby. I like them fine, but for the price you can get a Rossi or something like that. I keep a few around as my knockaround around pipes for aros, OTC's, and lakelands. I like some of the unique shapes too.

Reactions: dmcmtk

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Same.

And yeah, I ordered 2oz each of two blends, and when they arrived I immediately ordered a bunch more of the same two blends lol. Watch City is absolutely ace. Shhh, don't tell anyone ;)

Yeah, I'm think about trying to deep cellar a few of the WC blends. I'll keep it on the DL after this review *wink*

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I just smoked this stuff for the first time. It was absolutely delicious. It reminded me of a granola-like sweetness with a touch of campy smokiness glazed over it. I paired it with ☕, and the combination simply shined for me. One of the best “introductions” I’ve ever had and will definitely be keeping this as a “breakfast” staple in my rotation. If all Watch City blends are blended with this level of deliciousness...I’ll be sending them a good bit of ? in the future. Thanks for the recommendation and the review!☕

Status
Not open for further replies.