Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I mistakenly ordered Deluxe Crumb Cut instead of Original Crumb Cut because I have a small attention span. I thought this may be a problem, as I don't like Latakia. But since it's been paid for and delivered, I've had a couple of bowls. I have to admit, I like it. The Lat is added in a truly condimental proportion. I saw Ernie Q from WCC in the Virtual Pipe Club Zoom room a couple of weeks ago, and he mentioned something about how he "tempers" Latakia. He didn't go into details, but I get what he means when I smoke this. The creosoty edge on the Latakia is toned down considerably. It's a sweet and nutty blend that burns very nicely. I'll enjoy the rest of the 2oz. sample, and maybe even buy some more later.

In any event, try not paying attention the next time you order tobacco. You may end up with a pleasant surprise.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I mistakenly ordered Deluxe Crumb Cut instead of Original Crumb Cut because I have a small attention span. I thought this may be a problem, as I don't like Latakia. But since it's been paid for and delivered, I've had a couple of bowls. I have to admit, I like it. The Lat is added in a truly condimental proportion. I saw Ernie Q from WCC in the Virtual Pipe Club Zoom room a couple of weeks ago, and he mentioned something about how he "tempers" Latakia. He didn't go into details, but I get what he means when I smoke this. The creosoty edge on the Latakia is toned down considerably. It's a sweet and nutty blend that burns very nicely. I'll enjoy the rest of the 2oz. sample, and maybe even buy some more later.

In any event, try not paying attention the next time you order tobacco. You may end up with a pleasant surprise.
I found the same with his Old Black Magic. I can taste the Latakia but it’s actually tolerable and works well with the blend.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I too dig on the WC DCC, nice write-up. At the fringes, kind of a stealth revival (in terms of chatter on the nets) of 'codger-style' Burley:

Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut
Peretti Thanksgiving Day
MacBaren London Blend
SWRA/Mix 79 with strange new respect
Burley Morning Pipe

From being mainly an English and booze-Aro smoker, I started smoking the last three in regular rotation about a year ago. Cracked open my pound of LJP TD from 2019 that had sat untouched and then started sucking down WC DCC. Now I'm smoking codger Burley the majority of bowls (especially SWRA). I'm still too much of a dainty lad to regularly puff stuff like OJK, Five Brothers, Semois, etc....but dammed if I ain't digging on the sweeter/nuttier burley blends.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I wasn’t aware that DCC had Latakia. I knew about OBM and, like @BROBS mentioned, it’s practically undetectable in there. There are a few other blends that do that. GLPease has some and G&H Bobs Chocolate Flake. There are probably other that I can’t think of.
Some of the McClelland green can orientals series had some condimental latakia, #1 is the most notable to me. Love that blend. So sad it's gone. As you mentioned, GLP Key Largo uses it very well also. And of course Bob's.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.