PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I’ve read Jim’s review, but aside from that there appears to be very little info out there.

Anyone tried it? Hate it? Like it?

I’m not big on aromatics but I like to keep a couple on hand for occasional cravings, and I prefer tobacco centric versions. Not the overly goopy stuff.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Evolving or experimenting throughout these two years of smoking a pipe. I am relatively modifying my cellar and tobacco rotations. I am looking for and testing some aromatics that can be smoked. Of course aromatics that respect the real aroma of the atabaco. It's a way to give my palate a break. Of strong Virginia tobbacos or mixtures of latakias or burleys etc. So yes, I like certain aromatics. Something that I was unaware of due to my little experience as a pipe smoker. But it has to be an aromatic that respects a good tobacco flavor. For example, a St. Bruno, or something the most similar, of mac baren, a ready rubbed n1 or a mixture scottish blend, etc.........but not tobaccos drowned in jelly beans sauce, and those weird things they call aromatic tobaccos...........

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
So yes, I like certain aromatics. But it has to be an aromatic that respects a good tobacco flavor.

Well put.

The blends I smoke currently that I would classify as aromatics, are not aros by definition, but merely blends that leave a pleasant room note. Right now that is mostly Watch City Slices and Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut.

I do have some Scotty's Trout Stream which is more of a true aro, but I rarely smoke it. That's more of a "crowd-pleaser" type blend that I'll smoke when I'm hanging around folks who may not otherwise appreciate the secondhand smoke.

Reactions: JOHN72 and FurCoat

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I think I might order some just to try after reading about it.

One of my favorite aromatics that still predominantly focuses on the tobacco is Capstan Gold Flake. It's friggin delicious.

As a superior choice to 1-Q I highly recommend GH&C American Delight. Great sweetness, great but mild tobacco flavor, and non-goopy. It's friggin delicious.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Well I've spent a little time with 4-Q and I'll say it's not my favorite of their offerings. I've got no credentials to be reviewing anything, but my impression is that it's a very good version of a not-that-exciting blend (Lane 1Q).

If I want something aromatic-esque from WC I'd rather go with Slices or Old Black Magic. I also have some of their Deluxe Crumb cut and Quint's Own, but I've only smoked the former twice and never the latter (yet).

Reactions: JOHN72

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Ordered a couple oz this morning among other things:

• McConnell Black Flake 50gr

8 x McConnell "Black Flake" 50gr​

$95.92
  • Gawith  Hoggarth & Co. Brown Flake Unscented

1 x Gawith Hoggarth & Co. "Brown Flake Unscented"​

• Choose 8 oz bulk
    $39.99
  • Watch City's 4-Q (Bulk by the Ounce)

2 x Watch City's "4-Q" (Bulk by the Ounce)​

$8.98
  • Watch City's Old Black Magic (Bulk by the Ounce)

2 x Watch City's "Old Black Magic" (Bulk by the Ounce)​

$9.90

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
Well I've spent a little time with 4-Q and I'll say it's not my favorite of their offerings. I've got no credentials to be reviewing anything, but my impression is that it's a very good version of a not-that-exciting blend (Lane 1Q).

If I want something aromatic-esque from WC I'd rather go with Slices or Old Black Magic. I also have some of their Deluxe Crumb cut and Quint's Own, but I've only smoked the former twice and never the latter (yet).
I found the Slices too boring. I haven't tried OBM yet.