PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have a morbid fascination with mobsters, so when I saw this story on Bugsy Siegel, I took a look. In one of the photos I noticed a pipe (Canadian) and some Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco. Now who's pipe was it? The District Attorney's?
1412126296702_wps_33_18_Sep_1940_Los_Angeles_C.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2775759/He-s-got-gotten-rid-Bugsy-Siegel-shot-dead-girlfriend-s-Beverly-Hills-home-1947-LOVE-claims-family-best-friend.html

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I would figure it wasn't Siegel's based on where it is in the photo. I also have an interest in gangsters, love gangster movies and documentaries. I'm a little down that Boardwalk Empire is wrapping up in a month, good show, great writing and acting ... and the wardrobe department, wow.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It's definitely not Siegel's, it's likely one of the men at the table. I like that the tobacco is right there as well. Always interesting to know what is being smoked. I also just noticed that there's another fellow (back left) who's holding a pipe.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
If the movies are to be believed, the good guys smoked pipes and the bad guys smoked cigars. I guess the bad guys had more disposable income.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know, but I suspect that smoking a pipe would be anathema in mob culture. Cigarettes or cigars. Pipes, no-no.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If some powerful mob guy took up a pipe, he'd then be named Tony the Pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.