PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
I do not have the proof nor studies on hand but I was certain I read that marijuana smoke is not carcinogenic based on recent studies. The whole gen of hippies and entire population of Colorado and California would be dead by now.

If this is true I am curious about the mechanism of the smoke
Recent “studies”. Hmmm, sure. Let me stop right here before the lock.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
There is no differences between the carcinogenic nature of tobacco grown for cigarettes and pipe tobacco. Actually, they all come from the same places.

This is why they have to put labels on pipe tobacco products, because some moron out there is going to think that because it's not a cigarette, it's safer. A whole buncha arguments and breaking down how cigarette tobaccos are handled, blah blah blah... in the end, they are the same thing. People have died of cancer from smoking going back to when we took some back to Europe. Risk management.

It just isn't smart to downplay the dangers of the leaf used in one vice verses another. Just be aware that it is dangerous and approach it as such. Anything else is like telling a child that a bullet from a 22 pistol isn't as dangerous as a 50 caliber.
Why does pipe tobacco only have a label saying it contains nicotine but not a surgeon general warning that it causes cancer ?

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Smoke, regardless of nature, is simply un-burnt particles from the combustion of something. Our skin and membranes absorb this and along with the gases from combustion. None of it is good for you.

There are also no requirements to label pipe tobacco with a warning. That requirement was shot down like 2 years ago due to a failure of proof to require them.

Why does pipe tobacco only have a label saying it contains nicotine but not a surgeon general warning that it causes cancer ?
Really? Jeeesh, this is why we have labels I guess. We should demand they warn people like you, with MORE labels. Or... just walk away believe that there is no cancer in those tins... quietly, so no one gets a hint of what's spinning that head of yours, ha ha.

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Really? Jeeesh, this is why we have labels I guess. We should demand they warn people like you, with MORE labels. Or... just walk away believe that there is no cancer in those tins... quietly, so no one gets a hint of what's spinning that head of yours, ha ha.
It’s a quandary from what you said: they’re all the same. Why not give them the same label… easy and convenient. No extra government funding needed to create a 10 word sentence. Reuse the one that works.

Not more labels, just the right one.

Recent “studies”. Hmmm, sure. Let me stop right here before the lock.

Sorry.

Last edited:
It’s a quandary from what you said: they’re all the same. Why not give them the same label… easy and convenient. No extra government funding needed to create a 10 word sentence. Reuse the one that works.

Not more labels, just the right one.
It was the cigarette industry that was sued to get those labels, because at the time, pipesmoking was all but dead. There has been a resurgence in pipe smokers since. Currently it was international laws (EU specifically) that gave us current labels on pipe tobaccos. We may see more labelling in the future, but many here hate them, which means that labels work. And, I guess you prove that some "need" them.

Reactions: Kooky

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Smoke, regardless of nature, is simply un-burnt particles from the combustion of something. Our skin and membranes absorb this and along with the gases from combustion. None of it is good for you.

There are also no requirements to label pipe tobacco with a warning. That requirement was shot down like 2 years ago due to a failure of proof to require them.

This is why I am saying, if it causes cancer, SAY IT. Not just that it contains nicotine. Make the label work, scare people accurately and more efficiently. Otherwise, take it off.

I can surmise pipe smoking does not add to my life, without a label about nicotine.

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
At least if I lose my tongue, nobody will have to listen to me. Now I need to figure out how to get finger cancer so you guys don't have to either.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The GMO thing makes me bang my head on the desk. The dangers of GMO's has been blown completely out of proportion.

As to your Aunt or people with criticisms... kill them with humor. It's not even worth it to try to use logic. You are putting yourself in danger by smoking. Any person who doesn't know this by now is an idiot or completely from a deserted island. Trying to argue away the dangers is even more stupid. But... everything has a risk. Try the joke thing. If they can't take a joke, punch them in the face. YMMV puffy
If anyone was interested in breaking down GMO to its basics, they would learn that much of what we eat has been genetically modified. Scientist for a few hundred years have cross bred plants to improve the quality and taste of vegetables as well as livestock.

The seeds that all the organic, non-gmo farmers buy are from plants that have been crossbred to achieve the type of produce they want to grow. And, if you really want to screw with their minds, explain to them that using "natural" fertilizer like dead fish (Indians used to use fish as fertilizer) that the fertilizer actually genetically modifies the plant they are growing to make it grow bigger and better.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I'm pretty sure that the differences between cigarettes and pipe tobacco is negligible at best. Stomatitis nicotina - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stomatitis_nicotina this thing is more common to pipe smokers than cigarette users. Apparently not harmful but I didn't read everything. So I think that except the reduced lung cancer risk pipe smoking is about the same risk as cigarettes -lung cancer.
Thanks. Now I've just learned that there is a thing called "reverse smoking".

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
The owner of this forum doesn't like discussions about drug use. However, the reason so many people being prescribed THC have to use alternative ways of ingesting it is because of the carcinogenic nature of the smoke. I'll stop now... sorry Kevin.
Indeed: let's move on to uncontroversial things like whether or not to fully rub out flake before packing it in a pipe.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I actually argued with a guy on reddit about this. He said that pipe tobacco is much safer than cigarette tobacco because of "isotopes" in the ground. That must have been the most stupid thing I've ever seen said on a smoking-related forum. How could you be so in denial as to believe that? I really can't believe it....

Status
Not open for further replies.