Warning to Gamers :) ... In 20 Years ...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
You'd think they would just give up after a while.

Its kind of funny, definitely overblown, posting it for humor reasons and because i know some here are gamers too.

Its good to take breaks :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Been at it since the late '70s. My weight is, and always will be, below 120 lbs, 0% body fat, non-existent LDL, and I wear glasses due to hereditary myopia.

Reactions: whsergent
Mar 1, 2014
Nah. Been gaming since AD 1993 and I don't look like that. My vision has indeed gone down, though.

The worst thing you can do to your eyes is reading on a mobile device at night.

This is another area where "gaming" is a convenient scapegoat (because of historic political conflicts) but reality is Social Media (yet again) is the worst thing to happen to the world in recent history.

The resting focal distance for your eyes is about 30 feet, spend as much time outside as you can, and if that's not possible try to use larger screens and sit as far away as possible.

For a really good "quarantine exercise" playing Darts would probably be one of the best things to do for your eyes, requiring intense focus on a somewhat distant object, and it works your eye-hand coordination.
...Or if you have a 100"+ Projector screen then playing games on that might be almost as good. Then again you can't play Darts sitting down so that's probably a good addition to your daily schedule regardless.
Indoor Mini Golf should be right up there as well.

Last edited:

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
If your into retro games look into building a raspberry pi for gaming, or buy a pre built one with over 5000 games on it. They are awesome.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The worst thing you can do to your eyes is reading on a mobile device at night.

This is another area where "gaming" is a convenient scapegoat (because of historic political conflicts) but reality is Social Media (yet again) is the worst thing to happen to the world in recent history.

The resting focal distance for your eyes is about 30 feet, spend as much time outside as you can, and if that's not possible try to use larger screens and sit as far away as possible.

For a really good "quarantine exercise" playing Darts would probably be one of the best things to do for your eyes, requiring intense focus on a somewhat distant object, and it works your eye-hand coordination.
...Or if you have a 100"+ Projector screen then playing games on that might be almost as good. Then again you can't play Darts sitting down so that's probably a good addition to your daily schedule regardless.
Indoor Mini Golf should be right up there as well.
Not much into cell phones, myself. Sure, I play WWF and that's about it. Used to love Bejewelled till they killed the fun with their damn ads.

Funny thing, I think the harder-to-read fonts used in some games are to blame, at least partially. About 17 years ago, I think all those hours playing Morrowind weren't kind to my eyes. Interestingly, that's what I'm currently playing :oops: . I think larger screens are also worse than smaller ones; dunno, but having a wide screen 2 ft away from your face whilst navigating a 3D world has felt funny to my vision of late.

Don't have a dartboard, so I guess I should head out to the range and use the iron sights. ?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
After about a year of my daughter begging for Minecraft, I purchased it for her tablet for like 6 dollars.

Then I would sit with her while she played. And she talked about it all the time. And then she started talking about the videos on YouTube about Minecraft..

So I bought it for myself for PC, for like 25$. And I've been hooked....

Now it's a game we play together.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Not much into cell phones, myself. Sure, I play WWF and that's about it. Used to love Bejewelled till they killed the fun with their damn ads.

Funny thing, I think the harder-to-read fonts used in some games are to blame, at least partially. About 17 years ago, I think all those hours playing Morrowind weren't kind to my eyes. Interestingly, that's what I'm currently playing :oops: . I think larger screens are also worse than smaller ones; dunno, but having a wide screen 2 ft away from your face whilst navigating a 3D world has felt funny to my vision of late.

Don't have a dartboard, so I guess I should head out to the range and use the iron sights. ?
Morrowind was amazing. Used to play till the wee hours even on worknights and even get in a few minutes before work in the a.m.
I very nearly ended up getting a divorce over that game.
The later ones, Oblivion and Skyrim were good, and maybe its because it was a first for me, but Morrowind was a real eye opener for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like RPGs but I could never stomach those Japanese-cartoon-like characters wielding impossibly huge swords bigger than they were. That's why I never got hooked on FF.
The great thing is the scale of the game. On my first playthrough of FF7, an orchestral piece started playing just before the final boss. My first thought was, "Oh shit, I'm going to die."

Reactions: philobeddoe

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Morrowind was amazing. Used to play till the wee hours even on worknights and even get in a few minutes before work in the a.m.
I very nearly ended up getting a divorce over that game.
The later ones, Oblivion and Skyrim were good, and maybe its because it was a first for me, but Morrowind was a real eye opener for me.
I loved Skyrim.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I loved Skyrim.

Me too. My current character is lvl 52 and next perk i get the extra effect enchanment :)

Have you seen this?

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Too bad you can't find Skyrim on DVD anymore. Not really keen on buying it off Steam.
Its pretty painless. Every now and then Bethesda updates the game and you have to update skse, but the mods available on nexus mods make the experience of continuing to play interesting and fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.