PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Anyone know why these obnoxious warnings currently on tobacco cans and pouches can't be made to peel off? They are completely useless to begin with. Everyone over the age of ten knows the anti-smoking litany. The warnings are obviously meant to annoy, not inform. I loathe the mentality that thinks these are great, and my thought is that if you could peel them off you could roll them into cones, then mail them to the responsible parties, and they could then twirl them up their fundaments. What a wonderful world that would be! ☺️

impotens.jpg

When we complain, "they" think it's working. I repeatedly have posted that we should embrace these and make them into tshirts and bumper stickers. If we inflict the general population with them, and make "them" think we like these warnings, they'll go away. But, for every complaint, they laugh and double down.

I want to get some mouth cancer tshirts made up, and maybe a huge one for the back of my truck. If we can get non-smokers to complain about them, they'll go away.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Anyone know why these obnoxious warnings currently on tobacco cans and pouches can't be made to peel off? They are completely useless to begin with. Everyone over the age of ten knows the anti-smoking litany. The warnings are obviously meant to annoy, not inform. I loathe the mentality that thinks these are great, and my thought is that if you could peel them off you could roll them into cones, then mail them to the responsible parties, and they could then twirl them up their fundaments. What a wonderful world that would be! ☺️

View attachment 81827
It is intentional as a way to make the packaging less desirable. It’s more aimed at reducing the attraction to new and/or younger smokers. It is basically used to destroy brand recognition.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

View attachment 81827
Clearly they are protecting their fundaments from you and other like minded people. I suspect the current positioning of the warning labels represents something of a compromise for them. If they had their way the labels would be used as a direct contact wrapper about the tobacco.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
WTF… Is this a subliminal message that smoking will cause you to take off your clothes and lay naked in a fetal position while in agony? A far cry from the days of a bliss when the Marlboro Man was riding his horse off into the sunset. Not sure Jackie Chiles would approve… ?
905603B8-04D6-41E9-A279-CE126F7550CE.gif

The question remains, why not peel-offs?
It totally obvious. If they peeled off, then people would remove them. Duh. The idea is to make you not want to buy the product. If they could make all pipe tobacco come in a large greasy dildo, they would, if they knew you wouldn't buy it. Didn't someone post that all tobacco in some European country has to have a blank label with no descriptions? That would most likely be the obvious next step.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The guys we are up against are legion and committed to their "cause". They are totally relentless and will pursue us with the total support of the politicians. With only 10% of us smoking and a decent percentage of them wanting to quit it is just a matter of time before they win.

Reactions: telescopes
May 2, 2020
Louisiana

View attachment 81827
@chasingembers , is that what you looked like after them four flakes of Rustica? ?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Have to say..that Rustica ended up being one of my favorites as well. Didn’t grab me at first but after I jarred it for awhile I really like it now.

Reactions: BROBS

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Here's what I've done with tins:

warning removed.jpg

Here's something they sell online that I've seen recommended by others. It's called a "stash herb jar". I assume tobacco is not the primary use but it will do:

Stash Jar Herb Storage Container.png

Reactions: Smithy and BROBS

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I used to pickup tins when in Europe so as to collect the various warning labels. I found them interesting. But, I usually buy for the blend not the label appearance. I will say my wife used to buy wine based on labels. Sometimes she found treasure surprisingly.

Of all the irritants I can think of, warning labels are not going to get my panties in a bunch. The beauty or, lack there of, doesn't impact the blend quality or, lack there of. It's simply not a situation worthy of notice..

Reactions: BROBS

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
If they can't be peeled off you can replace them with your own:

Hoyo_de_Monte_cigs.jpg

Toby_label--01.png

Toby_label--02.png

Status
Not open for further replies.