PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Hello Friends. For those who don't know me, I've only been smoking a pipe seriously for about 5 months. I've learned a lot in that time, still recognizing I have a long way to go. This was made abundantly clear last week when I took my kids from Toronto down to Miami for a week. Despite Miami being likely the most unfriendly pipe smoking place on the planet (see, still learning), after much effort and expense, I found an amazing shop (My Tobacconist) to augment what I brought with me. Navigating this turned out to be the easy part. Again, as a new pipe smoker who has really only learned what I know of the craft in cold to freezing cold temperatures, being in a hot humid environment ruined all the wishful notions I had of sitting back, relaxing on a deck chair for the week with a pipe in my face. I feel like all of the fundamentals that I've learned went out the window. I had to seriously re-adjust what I packed, how I packed it and how I smoked it. My pipes got super hot, my tongue nearly burned right off, struggled to keep it lit, or burned too fast, on and on and on. Ribbon cut was better, moist flakes....I figured out the rubbing them out like I do at home was a disaster, so I ended up going with the simple fold and stuff method. WTF is going on? Reaching out to old schoolers who have experience in multiple weather environments for more than just advice, but acknowledgment that I'm not a complete idiot. :)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've smoked all over the world, Arctic to Sonora Desert, and never experienced the problems you have. My only suggestion is to simply stuff it and smoke, pay less attention to the minutia and more to simply smoking in nice smooth, slow manner, enjoying your surroundings. It's not rocket science, it's correctly loading a hunk of dead vegetation with more dead vegetation and not getting stressed while seeking perfection. Obviously, the bite was from smoking too hot. Slow down! Leave your preconceived expectations behind and enjoy the moment.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sounds like there's a lot of moisture in the tobacco. Tobacco, in addition to it usually being packed into tins at a moisture level too high for optimal smoking; it can pick up moisture in the container, if left out "to dry" where the humidity is in excess of around 75%; and also smoking in a high humidity area.

HTH. Enjoy!

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
As I read this it totally makes sense. I'll research ways of drying it out if I'm in humid conditions. I was leaving it out to ‘dry’, but in Miami likely does the opposite. All of my issues can be attributed to this I think. I'll research tips on drying out tobacco.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I live in Middle Tennessee and we have some hot, muggy, extremely uncomfortable summertime humidity. I smoke my pipes year round, inside and outside and I guess the one common denominator for me is drying my tobacco properly. What constitutes "proper dryness" for one person may not be the same for another. For me, I have found that with over 30 years smoking a pipe, I like my tobacco to be very dry. Not dust mind you, but not far from it. I feel that it makes the tobacco smoke cooler, concentrates the flavors a bit more and cuts down on the moisture and relights. I realize that this is only my opinion and is what works for me. Others may feel just the opposite. Regardless, whether I'm smoking during the summer or the winter, moisture is a byproduct of combustion and I always keep a few pipe cleaners handy. Keep at it and after awhile, you'll develop your own process and procedure and before you know it, you'll no longer even think about it.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
As I read this it totally makes sense. I'll research ways of drying it out if I'm in humid conditions. I was leaving it out to ‘dry’, but in Miami likely does the opposite. All of my issues can be attributed to this I think. I'll research tips on drying out tobacco.
As for drying tobacco, in you're in a temperature/humidity controlled environment such as most modern homes have, all you really need to do is just take some loose tobacco and lay it out on a paper towel or paper plate and let it dry for a bit at room temperature. How long you let it dry is totally up to you and what you determine to be your smoking preference. Now, if you leave it outside to dry when it's hot and muggy, I doubt you're going to accomplish much. Drying time is also contingent on the moisture level of the tobacco when received. Some tobacco may only require a 20-30 minute dry time. Some, such as Gawith flakes, I may leave out overnight to dry and still find them too moist the next morning. Just experiment with it and see what works for you.

Reactions: JSPiper71

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Much like Warren, I've smoked a pipe all over the globe; in 27 different countries on four continents, 47/50 US States, and on five of the seven seas.

I've not had the level of difficulty you decribed, save when I was a newbie and didn't know to dry my tobacco or how to smoke it properly. Your issue probably wasn't caused by the location, it was more likely operator error.

Give it time, it'll come...

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
At the risk of being classified as another newbie with a lack of skills... nnnn

To the OP, I too note that the ambience (everything from temp to humidity to air current, etc.) has a dramatic effect on the smoking characteristics of a pipe / tobacco combo. That's one of the reasons to take EVERY recommendation with a grain of salt - when they say YMMV (your mileage may vary). I might say - your ambiance may vary. (YAMV)

Because it does and it will. Experienced smokers may automatically adjust for such nuances and forget that their ease of smoking with such variables likely came over much time and practice.

Yours will too.

IOW, what you are noticing is real, just part of the challenges.

Enjoy conquering them, only you can ultimately figure out specifically "how" in each scenario.

Such are the rewards of exploration and practice.

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I've smoked all over the world, Arctic to Sonora Desert, and never experienced the problems you have. My only suggestion is to simply stuff it and smoke, pay less attention to the minutia and more to simply smoking in nice smooth, slow manner, enjoying your surroundings. It's not rocket science, it's correctly loading a hunk of dead vegetation with more dead vegetation and not getting stressed while seeking perfection. Obviously, the bite was from smoking too hot. Slow down! Leave your preconceived expectations behind and enjo

I live in Middle Tennessee and we have some hot, muggy, extremely uncomfortable summertime humidity. I smoke my pipes year round, inside and outside and I guess the one common denominator for me is drying my tobacco properly. What constitutes "proper dryness" for one person may not be the same for another. For me, I have found that with over 30 years smoking a pipe, I like my tobacco to be very dry. Not dust mind you, but not far from it. I feel that it makes the tobacco smoke cooler, concentrates the flavors a bit more and cuts down on the moisture and relights. I realize that this is only my opinion and is what works for me. Others may feel just the opposite. Regardless, whether I'm smoking during the summer or the winter, moisture is a byproduct of combustion and I always keep a few pipe cleaners handy. Keep at it and after awhile, you'll develop your own process and procedure and before you know it, you'll no longer even think about it.
I thought I had it all down pat. Miami threw a curveball at me. Good experience though as summer in Toronto is often really humid. Hopefully my tongue will be back to normal by then! :)

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
At the risk of being classified as another newbie with a lack of skills... nnnn

To the OP, I too note that the ambience (everything from temp to humidity to air current, etc.) has a dramatic effect on the smoking characteristics of a pipe / tobacco combo. That's one of the reasons to take EVERY recommendation with a grain of salt - when they say YMMV (your mileage may vary). I might say - your ambiance may vary. (YAMV)

Because it does and it will. Experienced smokers may automatically adjust for such nuances and forget that their ease of smoking with such variables likely came over much time and practice.

Yours will too.

IOW, what you are noticing is real, just part of the challenges.

Enjoy conquering them, only you can ultimately figure out specifically "how" in each scenario.

Such are the rewards of exploration and practice.
Great response. Thank you.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and FLDRD

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I didn't notice the issues quite as strongly as you did. But I definitely had to adjust from the desert heat of Arizona, to the hyper humidity of Minnesota. Now that I'm in PA, things are a bit more balanced. But just give it some time ~ you'll find the necessary adjustments you need to make.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
You are going have to get better at packing your pipe and the speed at which you smoke. Don't pack your pipe as tight as before and slow your puffing way down. Relights are a good thing.
I think we’ve established that moisture was my issue, not a packing problem. The tobacco was too moist to smoke given humidity levels. I‘ve got this moving forward. Thanks All!

Reactions: kcghost and jpmcwjr