PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Thanks
For me the oriental forward blends are the ones that also have latakia in it but you taste more the orientals and the virginia like Dunhill Early Morning (now Peterson), Rattray's Red Rapparee and Robert McConnell' Oriental.
But there are also fine oriental blends without latakia: G.L. Pease Regent's Flake and Samuel Gawith Sam's Flake.
Thanks. I've had Rattray's Red Rapparee and Robert McConnell Oriental on my list for awhile, but they have been out of stock for my last couple of orders. I am anxiously awaiting my replacement tin of Sam's Flake. The C&D orientals on my list to maybe try some day include Embarcadero, Regent's Flake, Cairo, and Waccamaw. However, all of these seem to contain Latakia and so I have been trying to find some options without as I have SO MANY blends with Latakia right now. I'm also closely watching the A Good Oriental Forward Blend? for recommendations.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good to know. I have a tin of Erinmore Flake in the tobacco box to be opened. Seems like now is the perfect time!
I bought two tins last September intending to let them age until summer this year. Still really cold up here so haven’t pulled them out yet. It’s a unique tobacco and I think you’ll enjoy it, especially if it’s warming up where you are.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Warm weather is vaper and virginia season for me. Cold weather is latakia and burley season.
My favorite summer morning smokes are newminster navy flake and virginia slices. Nothing better in the am IMO with some good coffee

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Planning on switching to lighter Vapers during the summer, also Erinmore flake and OGD are mighty f9ne summer time tobaccoes ,but this damn St Bruno is so addictive, nonetheless, I reckon I must take a break from it now for some time

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
An update on what I have tried so far:
Current updates:
  • Dan Blue Note - Added to the list based on several recommendations and only tried once so far; intriguing at first pass
  • Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew - Also added to the list based on several recommendations, but haven't yet opened the tin to try it!
  • Rattray's Exotic Passion - Finally able to grab this when Rattray's came back in stock in USA; very excited about this one and the bag note and description are fantastic; only one smoke so far to start the break in on a new cob that will be dedicated to this and other heavily flavored aromatics (e.g. Dan Devil's Holiday) and therefore will need more smokes get into it more
  • Rattray's Red Raparee - Also ordered when it finally came available again; I REALLY enjoyed this one as it's flavorful, yet a slightly "lighter" Oriental blend (kind of like a Balkan Supreme Lite in some ways)
  • Samuel Gawith Sam's Flake - Received replacement and tried once; liked, but needs revisited a few more times
  • Savinelli Brunello Flake - Still haven't quite figured this one out yet...
  • Solani Tropical Mango Flake - More disappointing than the Brunello; may just need some time in the jar?

Status
Not open for further replies.