Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I have several unopened tins that I purchased some time ago, but haven't opened yet mostly because I am a very infrequent smoker and have been gravitating toward English/Balkan blends since starting the hobby late last Fall. I am very excited since it is now getting nice again outside and thought the following might be good to open for the warmer weather:
  • Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday
  • Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake
  • Samuel Gawith Sam's Flake
  • Savinelli Brunello Flake
  • Solani Tropical Mango Flake
What are your favorite tobacco blends best enjoyed during warm weather and the dogs days of Summer?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’m actually the opposite of many of you. I like English blends in the summer, because their smokiness reminds me of summertime barbecues, camping and such. But other than that I’ve found that I smoke whatever is good, whatever the season is.
Ever drink lemonade while smoking a lat blend? If not, give it a try.?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I'm definitely a seasonally affected smoker... I tend to smoke more VA dominant blends in the warm months. Dunhill Ready Rubbed, OGS, Old Gowrie, and Royal Yacht are all summertime go-to blends for me. I'm looking forward to digging into VaBurs like Kendal Cream and Rum Flake more in the warm weather as well. When it comes to Lat, I like it on the lighter side in the heat so I smoke more Standard Mixture Mellow, St. Ives, and Bob's or Sam's Chocolate Flakes. I've read where a lot of folks really appreciate cigar blends more in the midsummer heat so I have an aged tin of Billy Budd waiting for July that I'm pretty excited about as well.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I like Earl Grey with them.?

You know what, right when you said Earl Grey I got hit with all the notes that come with that style of tea and without even trying it I think that may be a perfect match for Virginias. All those floral notes, yet with a strong tea flavor. I’ll have to try that.

My go-to is Yorkshire Gold, which is considered one of the best English teas, and it pairs well with Virginias.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
No seasonal preference for me. I just smoke whatever strikes my mood at the moment.
I'm a big beer guy and that's exactly my approach with beer, too. The seasons and temperature don't affect my beer choices.
I tend to switch from heavier Englishes and Latakia blends to Virginias when it begins to warm. It will be 85 degrees in my town this weekend. So, I think I'll crack open a tin of McCllelland's 40th Anniversary. I'm still about a month or so away from switching from scotch to bourbon.
I like Virginia blends too, but only smoke occasionally them because their acidity/chemistry seems to disagree with my tongue.
I’m actually the opposite of many of you. I like English blends in the summer, because their smokiness reminds me of summertime barbecues, camping and such. But other than that I’ve found that I smoke whatever is good, whatever the season is.
Yes, I also plan to have English/Balkan during the Summer as well as those are what I generally prefer and agree that they would pair well with BBQ, campfires, and the like.
Will do! Thanks for the idea. Usually it's beer or tea for me.

Last edited:

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Yes, I also plan to have English/Balkan during the Summer as well as those are what I generally prefer and agree that they would pair well with BBQ, campfires, and the like
I tend to switch from heavier Englishes and Latakia blends to Virginias when it begins to warm. It will be 85 degrees in my town this weekend. So, I think I'll crack open a tin of McCllelland's 40th Anniversary. I'm still about a month or so away from switching from scotch to bourbon.

. I Virginia blends too, but only smoke occasionally them because the acidity/chemistry seems to disagree with my tongue.
Will do! Thanks for the idea. Usually it's beer or tea for me.
Virginias.
But also Kentucky blends, for some reason that kind of smokiness works well for me during the warm seasons.
Nice, I have a tin of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky that I look forward to trying very soon!

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
@John_Barleycorn ... What oriental-forward blends do you like?
For me the oriental forward blends are the ones that also have latakia in it but you taste more the orientals and the virginia like Dunhill Early Morning (now Peterson), Rattray's Red Rapparee and Robert McConnell' Oriental.
But there are also fine oriental blends without latakia: G.L. Pease Regent's Flake and Samuel Gawith Sam's Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.