PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
I loved the dense deep anise plug-like bar I received in the past from tins I have purchased of this tobacco. Recently popped a tin and it’s the consistency of SPC slices.

Curious if anyone likes their tobaccos densely pressed like me. I miss the sinewy quality vs the crumbly cake. Taste is near the same, a little deeper with the more pressed plug.

Anyone have any insight to this? RO?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I just ordered 10 of each of the War Horses last week because my cellar has been depleted somewhat since pandemic started and my smoking increased. Figured these blends were on death row so I stocked up and replenished a bit. Wondering which version I will receive? Either way I’ll be pretty content.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Funny you should mention the plug vs Flake differences. For me, I much prefer the old FV plug that has been discontinued in the US, to the FVF. (Though those shipments come so rarely, it’s almost if FVF is discontinued for US sale too?).

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
It's mostly the older War Horse Plugs that are ACTUALLY PLUGS. Most of the current formula is more like a crumble cake similar to John Cotton's Double Pressed blends. I also would have liked it to a a actual Plug as well.

It's mostly the older War Horse Plugs that are ACTUALLY PLUGS. Most of the current formula is more like a crumble cake similar to John Cotton's Double Pressed blends. I also would have liked it to a a actual Plug as well.
You are almost correct. Yes the original War Horse was a plug. Then STP brought it back. STP is made up of forum members here. The plug they made was jokingly referred to as a "chug" by them, because they knew that it wasn't up to par. But, then they sold War Horse to... crap, who owns it now? Anyways, this new company managed to improve the plug making process for this one... or at least the OP says they have. I haven't tried it since STP was no longer involved.

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
Yes of course an actual plug would be great with full leaf stacked and pressed tightly.

I am glad at least we have access to this reboot by Standard Tobacco (still standard tobacco of PA).

The change that I found was that I had purchased a tin in the past that almost had the density of an actual plug but was made up of rough cut you can pull and crumble apart.

However, my most recent tin opened is even more loosely pressed cake. Same company, just a slightly different presentation. Similar to their Bengal Slices prep just without the slices.

I am glad at least we have access to this reboot by Standard Tobacco (still standard tobacco of PA).
Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania (STP) was made up of three fellow forum members here.
However, my most recent tin opened is even more loosely pressed cake. Same company, just a slightly different presentation. Similar to their Bengal Slices prep just without the slices.
OK, I was confused. I know that STP does not own it any more. I thought that your OP was stating that the plug was dense again. But, if the tin has STP on the label, it may just be old stock of the first release. That still leaves the question as to what the new release is like.

Reactions: thedoc333
May 14, 2021
Tejas
I always prefer a firm plug. There is something nostalgic about it, and the prep allows me to slow down enjoy my ritually a little more. As far as flavor is concerned, I am by no means a connoisseur and cannot tell much of a difference in flavor though.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
I donno about the old one, but I am smoking a tin I just received in an order and loving it. Are there any other tobacco's like this? I can't put my finger on the flavor, but I that and the N strength are a great combo.

Reactions: ofafeather

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
20210719_183409.jpg
I ordered some recently and this is what my 'chug' looks like. Great stuff, could also be used as an air freshener.

For more 'like this' I'm not sure - but I'd recommend any G&H plug (those aren't really 'like this though')

I got 5 cans of each Green and Bar.

Reactions: OlJawBone

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
oh just realized you were talking about the green. sorry, I cant comment. I did love the red so much that I placed an order for a bunch for the cellar, including a tin of the green to try. I have high hopes

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Unless as financial decision I don't understand why SPC would have ever sold the brand. They had labored so hard and so well to make it, and with Russ' expertise had brought it to market.