PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just noticed, after researching the old War Horse bar, I found some reviews stating that there was a floral top note. If you look up the Gallaher Limited edition on TobaccoReviews.com it shows that it had a "floral essence" in the flavoring comments up top. I noticed the Ready Rub does not have any floral top notes added and was wondering if the actual Bar you all are releasing will have the floral notes? I'm assuming the Green will have floral notes since it's being compared to Condor.
This question is directed towards anyone who knows the answer.

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
I just noticed, after researching the old War Horse bar, I found some reviews stating that there was a floral top note. If you look up the Gallaher Limited edition on TobaccoReviews.com it shows that it had a "floral essence" in the flavoring comments up top. I noticed the Ready Rub does not have any floral top notes added and was wondering if the actual Bar you all are releasing will have the floral notes? I'm assuming the Green will have floral notes since it's being compared to Condor.
This question is directed towards anyone who knows the answer.
This was a criticism I recall when they first released War Horse Ready Cut. It was pointed out that both War Horse Bar and Ready Cut had a floral element. The current Ready Cut is pretty much just a strong Burley. Additionally, the original Ready Cut was actually a flake...a ready cut version of the bar. The current ready Cut version isnt even rubbed, let alone cut...

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
54667744.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This was a criticism I recall when they first released War Horse Ready Cut. It was pointed out that both War Horse Bar and Ready Cut had a floral element. The current Ready Cut is pretty much just a strong Burley. Additionally, the original Ready Cut was actually a flake...a ready cut version of the bar. The current ready Cut version isn't even rubbed, let alone cut...

While I like the current version of War Horse, I'm really hoping the Bar will closely resemble the original. I do remember Misterlowercase talking all kinds of trash about the new War Horse not being accurate. Haha.

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
While I like the current version of War Horse, I'm really hoping the Bar will closely resemble the original. I do remember Misterlowercase talking all kinds of trash about the new War Horse not being accurate. Haha.
I think some criticism of the blend is justified. Other than name, the original Ready-Cut and the current one are two completely different blends. They may have the same components, but the cut and the flavor profile are nothing alike. I can see how people may think that it was nothing more than bringing back an old, known name, and blending something that was new. I imagine that the bar and (hopefully) the Green will be closer to the original/Condor. I wonder what the cut of the Green will be?...

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Misterlowercase is one passionate guy about tobacco, it really isn't the same without him.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
The closer they match War Horse Green to Condor, the better it will be.

I do expect there to be some slight differences, but I'm hoping they will only be acceptable and nothing to drastic.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The closer they match War Horse Green to Condor, the better it will be.

I do expect there to be some slight differences, but I'm hoping they will only be acceptable and nothing to drastic.

Exactly! I'm hoping I can hold on to my stash of Condor and be satisfied by War Horse Green.

Misterlowercase is one passionate guy about tobacco, it really isn't the same without him.

He was a great member that had a lot of educational threads. I miss his presence too!

I think some criticism of the blend is justified. Other than name, the original Ready-Cut and the current one are two completely different blends. They may have the same components, but the cut and the flavor profile are nothing alike. I can see how people may think that it was nothing more than bringing back an old, known name, and blending something that was new. I imagine that the bar and (hopefully) the Green will be closer to the original/Condor. I wonder what the cut of the Green will be?...

I've never tried the original but I really do like the current War Horse RR as is, perhaps if I had tried and liked the original I would be upset too if they are indeed nothing alike. Judging it on it's own merits, it's a great, stout blend!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
OK here we go again with the armchair anarchists! I have smoked both the 1930s War Horse, the 1950s iteration as well as a batch of late 1970s early 1980s, the latter was also sent down to Jim Inks for comparison. Some of the sh*t that went into the original War Horse would make your head spin and would be like making RYO cigarettes out of XXX Black twist. Trust me when I say if we had duplicated that we would have had one customer! Furthermore due to the knowledge of what we thought the FDA might do, which sadly has made us something of a Cassandra in that regard we had to get something into production that was in essence a reasonable iteration of War Horse. The original test batches had slightly more topping which resulted in the stuff tasting like Bazooka Joe bubble gum so Russ toned it down and hence what you see with the current War Horse rub your own brand. You are never going to keep everyone completely happy and if we had not had the FDA breathing down our necks we could have messed around with it for ever. At some stage I will go into the endless production issues with the 'plug' which again have caused us endless headaches. At the beginning of this project we set ourselves a simple task, since then we have resurrected a number of famous blends and we will go out doing exactly what we set out to do - give you the War Horse Bar. Few people can say they have done what we have done, spending our own money, time and simply looking to the wider community to enjoy the fruits of our combined labors. Be an armchair expert, hell even be an armchair general and key board warrior, but until you have done what we have done your criticisms are like drops of water in a bucket full of water - meaningless!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Extremely well said Simon!!! Where are the pitchforks for Balkan Sobranie and 3 Nuns? I applaud your efforts and can't wait to try the Green Dragon.
I know I'll be disappointed and feel like a charlatan for even lighting up, but I also will revel in getting a chance to try something I didn't knew existed in the modern baccy world.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some of the sh*t that went into the original War Horse would make your head spin and would be like making RYO cigarettes out of XXX Black twist.
That actually sounds good.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My wake up smoke is 50/50 ODF and Black XX Twist, but I probably still need help. :mrgreen:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I hope you don't think I was being critical, I love the current War Horse and I've not had the old to compare it with. Anyway, I really appreciate all you (SToP) have done for the community and I didn't mean to come off sounding like an ungrateful lil prick. Bengal Slices is one of my favorite new blends and I can't thank you all enough for brining it to us! I humbly thank you all for your hard work! I am really looking forward to these new blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.