PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Been smoking WHB daily for several years and have grown like it very much. The other day I received a order in with amongst other tobaccos, were 4 new tins of WHB. Busted one open to throw in the jar and to my surprise it was a very different looking tobacco than I have been smoking for years! It was more lightly pressed, smaller uniform pieces, not as dark and not a “leathery” feel to the tobacco. There was some difference in the tin note, not as deep on the dark fired? What gives, it was more like a C&D or Sutliff made cake?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Been smoking WHB daily for several years and have grown like it very much. The other day I received a order in with amongst other tobaccos, were 4 new tins of WHB. Busted one open to throw in the jar and to my surprise it was a very different looking tobacco than I have been smoking for years! It was more lightly pressed, smaller uniform pieces, not as dark and not a “leathery” feel to the tobacco. There was some difference in the tin note, not as deep on the dark fired? What gives, it was more like a C&D or Sutliff made cake?
the one I had was like that..
it didn't look like pics I've seen it was more fish-food flakes pressed together.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Why can't the powers that be leave things alone. I've had two emails on this subject as well. Since we (John, myself or Dan) sold on the trademarks we do not any control of what the manufacturers do to WHB. I would email Russ Omlette at C.I and ask him what gives.
Sounds like some solid advice, thanks!

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Why can't the powers that be leave things alone. I've had two emails on this subject as well. Since we (John, myself or Dan) sold on the trademarks we do not any control of what the manufacturers do to WHB. I would email Russ Omlette at C.I and ask him what gives.
because there are factors outside their control. That's the problem with organic things they aren't always consistent (organic as in something that grows and was alive once.) Also marketing factors like people probably complaining about it being an actual plug or some dumb thing like that. Or something, sucks but it's always been somewhat like that.

Reactions: logs

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Someone said that they couldn't taste the Valerian Root in it and that the Heliotrope extract had been toned down. The problem was that C.I was never able to produce a threshed whole leaf plug for whatever reason and went with the 'blug' format which was a super pressed crumble cake. It maybe as someone else commented a change of manufacturer or a change in the leaf although WHB has always been pretty straight forward in its composition. I would certainly email Russ at C.I as he was the one who took the century old formulation and produced the WHB. I am more than happy to arrange for a current tin to go down to Jim Ink's since he knows more about the mechanics of WHB than anyone else around here and get a second opinion.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Someone said that they couldn't taste the Valerian Root in it and that the Heliotrope extract had been toned down. The problem was that C.I was never able to produce a threshed whole leaf plug for whatever reason and went with the 'blug' format which was a super pressed crumble cake. It maybe as someone else commented a change of manufacturer or a change in the leaf although WHB has always been pretty straight forward in its composition. I would certainly email Russ at C.I as he was the one who took the century old formulation and produced the WHB. I am more than happy to arrange for a current tin to go down to Jim Ink's since he knows more about the mechanics of WHB than anyone else around here and get a second opinion.
I PM’d with Russ, he is on it sir! ;)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank you for sharing that info. Both Dan and myself are still very attached to our baby WHB even though we no longer have any involvement. I am sure C.I are on top of the situation since both WHB and Bengal Slices are two of their most popular brands.

Reactions: pitchfork

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"because there are factors outside their control"

Not having seen this new, changed product, and only having read the customer reports that I see here, it would appear that some things changed that may well be within the control of the folks at CI.

That said, I would wait to hear from Russ, as he is the one who knows, not me.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I hope it hasn’t changed! I’m on an older tin at the moment, which is a nice solid brick. I hope it hasn’t gotten more fluffy or undergone any other changes! Staying tuned!

Reactions: kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I hope it hasn’t changed! I’m on an older tin at the moment, which is a nice solid brick. I hope it hasn’t gotten more fluffy or undergone any other changes! Staying tuned!
All the hundreds of other tins I’ve smoked were larger irregular pieces that were very tightly pressed. This new one is perfectly described by @BROBS as like compressed fish food flakes. Will keep y’all up on any info I get. Was just concerned that another great tobacco was heading south for some reason. Thanks for all the input so far!

Reactions: lightmybriar

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Yeah, 1/2 way through the first bowl and it’s different. It’s “good” but far from the “party in your mouth” of before. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: BROBS

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Russ and I developed the reissue of War Horse. It was manufactured by Sutliff, for CI, under license from our company, Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania. Standard subsequently sold the War Horse trademark to CI.
Yes sir, as I recall on the new tin no mention of Standard Tobacco on the label. Will re check in the AM

Status
Not open for further replies.