New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling on our resident Cob Wizards. Came across this photograph of Walter Pidgeon and fell in love with the cob. The shank reminded me of Tom Eltang's Arne Jacobson with semi-translucent shank extension. The bowl seems like the Rob Roy cob, a taller version is also used in the Elf Cobbit pipe. Would definitely love to smoke one.
NbhnMT8.jpg

OotF5Vf.jpg

9yk92MA.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Walter Pidgeon was an actor from years ago, and I think he died in the mid 1980s. He was in one of my favorite old science fiction movies called "Forbidden Planet". I remember seeing him smoking this pipe in another photo, and yes it is a very cool cob indeed!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
He was in one of my favorite old science fiction movies called "Forbidden Planet".
"After a million years of shining sanity, they could hardly have understood what power was destroying them."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2BYyeS-fIU

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Walter Pidgeon was in a number of top notch films, including "How Green Was My Valley" also starring Maureen O'Hara. It won "Best Picture" beating out "Citizen Kane" amongst others.

Reactions: makhorkasmoker

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I remember the name in movie history, but I wouldn't have know the face. He's not afraid to smoke a cob with a jacket and tie, after my own heart.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've noticed after years of smoking the same cob, they start to "panel" out. Maybe his cob started out with straight edges, maybe it turned out like that after.

Small Update - I have convinced two peeps to do the walter pidgeon cob for me. Going to request 3 more people in the coming months for their versions of the same.
Current

1. Aaron Wood of The Cob Cobbler

2. Daniel Billings of The Blue Ridge Pipes (he's a friend as well)
In the pipeline - 1 per month perhaps

3. John Keller of JWK Pipes

4. Stacey Benson of Custon Corn Cobs

5. Ricardo Santia
Need 2 more peeps to complete a 7 day Walter Pidgeon Cob Set.
Cheers,

Chris

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Pidgeon was great in anything he was ever in. Red Danube is one of my favorites. Gotta love that cob, too! I just had a mental flash of Banjo, God rest him, keeping that thing smokey!
B

Reactions: makhorkasmoker
Status
Not open for further replies.