PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
I recently acquired a Wally Frank pipe Imported Briar Made in Italy. Does anyone know who was making pipes for Wally Frank in Italy? The pipe has a built-in wind-up that swivels over the bowl. Any idea of how to date this pipe?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ira

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Photos would be very helpful, perhaps critical.
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos in the "Latest Discussions" box,

LINK to that thread

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
[/img]

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
img_20181221_081156927-450x600.jpg

Took a little doing but I figured out how to upload the picture. Hope that helps.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I too would like to know the answer to this puzzle. That is a sweet pipe. A true piece of history. It looks like an early W Frank before the roaring Castello years.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
That is a very nice pipe.
As for the origin I found this on the Wally Frank page in Pipedia:
"In 1952, Wally Frank was on a buying trip in Italy and "discovered" pipe maker Carlo Scotti. Frank liked Scotti's pipes, but there was the small problem of Scotti's pipes bearing the same trademark or logo as one of Wally Frank's pipe lines, the White Bar. The two men decided on creating a new logo for pipes sold in the U.S.: a hole drilled in the stem and with a piece of silver foil inserted in the hole and covered with clear Lucite."

Status
Not open for further replies.