PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man o' Beard

Lurker
Aug 25, 2020
California / Illinois
Greetings, I'm from Los Angeles originally but I'm Studying blacksmithing in southern Illinois right now.
I got in to pipe smoking due to my interest in the mountain man / fur trade era of american history.
I have been smoking only about a month but so far my favorite tobacco is PUNCH
I have been struggling to taste much nuance so far but my interest is unwavering.
I have so much to learn and eagerly search for any advise.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Welcome! Blacksmithing sounds cool. I also appreciate wilderness skills and (comparatively) primitive technologies. My skill set is just that of a general outdoorsman, probably par for the course for most country boys who grew up camping, fishing, hunting, shooting, etc., but I really enjoy watching survival expert TV shows where they demonstrate advanced understanding of traditional skills and technologies. "Alone" is definitely my favorite.

Reactions: Tommy Boy

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Welcome and thank you for helping to keep a trade alive!

My favorite part of any renaissance festival is visiting the blacksmiths and craft shops. It's so cool watching and learning from a craft that was integral to civilization (and still is in some places) for millennia!

I don't know if you watch them at all, but there's a Colonial American themed YT channel called Townsends that has a bunch of videos I think you'd appreciate. In fact they just did an episode on building an old school forge!

Reactions: The Clay King

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Greetings from Ontario and welcome to the forums! I am a newb myself and find this to be a great community to learn about the hobby.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Welcome! I used to do the Rendezvous thing when I was younger. I still keep up with my survival skills and head out to the mountains every year during bow season for a week, setting camp and roughing it.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Welcome to the forum from southwest Michigan. Blacksmithing is a Manley skill for sure. Now you need a Manley beard and a pipe to round it out.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Well met and welcome! I love heading out to the trees and practicing bushcraft up here in the PNW. I'm always on the lookout for a good knife with a scandi grind, (just sayin').

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was home-ported long ago in Long Beach near L.A., and I grew up in Chicagoland. Welcome aboard. Is your interest in blacksmithing related to equines or other realms of metalwork? My stereotype for blacksmithing would be a good Missouri Meerschaum pipe, the kind that costs a little more but has an acrylic stem, and a tub of Granger, rough cut Kentucky burley flavored with molasses. A geographical note: Cairo, Illinois, at the southern tip of the state is further south than Richmond, Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.