PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
Will be in the area for the MSRA Conf. Any good locations to check out while I am up yonder?

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
The Tinderbox is nice and there is also Cargohold over here in Poulsbo (ferry ride ) but be ready for sticker shock as WA has some of the US's highest tobacco taxes in the land. Too bad your not here for the SPC meeting as that is probally one of the cooler pipe things that I am aware of in WA. Have fun.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I'm in Renton, which is close to Sea-Tac-- mind that Sea-Tac (the city) is a drive south of the area around the Sea-Tac airport, which is where I suspect you'll be. All that's out there is cigarette stores.
For B&Ms, pipe tobacco, etc. your options are:
Drive to Georgetown, a southern suburb of Seattle, and visit Rain City Cigar, at 5963 Corson Ave. It's in a funky-shaped strip mall. Tiny shop, huge cigar selection, fair range of pipe tobaccos, and a small selection of pipes, mostly briar but the occasional meerschaum. Really friendly employees.
Drive to Seattle and go to the Kirsten store, at 910 Lenora St. which is north and slightly east of downtown proper. It's in an upper-level plaza surrounded by condo buildings, and getting in is a bit tricky. It's a small shop with a small selection of briars. Kirsten pipes are not yet back in production, but if you have one, they have lots of bowls-- they have meerschaum bowls, too, if you ask. They have some house tobacco blends and a big walk-in humidor. If there's a woman working, she's the owner (typically there on Tuesdays and Thursdays). If it's a guy, don't expect him to know a lot about their pipe selection, but they're all nice folks.
Also in Seattle, go to the Tobacco Patch in Pike Place Market, address 1906 Pike Pl. They're inside a building, behind the Piroshky shop. Fair selection of tobacco, some pipes (the owner goes to industry shows and selects everything individually), mostly briar but a few meerschaum, and lots of cigars. There are also Tobacco Patch shops in Bellevue (in the lower level of a two-storey strip mall on NE 8th St., between 106th & 108th) and further north in Kirkland (at 125 Central Way), both of which also have pipes. Another Tobacco Patch is in Pioneer Square, south of downtown Seattle proper, but I believe they're mostly cigars.
The very best option is to drive to Tacoma, about 40 minutes south, and go to Washington's last Tinder Box store. We used to have several here. It's at 7921 S. Hosmer St. in a very small strip mall. They have a walk-in humidor, and the usual Tinder Box tobaccos, as well as some hookah stuff. Even better, there's a wide selection of briar (I'd say about 250 or so) and a case FILLED with meerschaums, everything from small to large, most with fitted cases, including a few vintage pipes. The top shelf of the meerschaum case also has a couple of nifty 1970s cigar holders with a striated metal finish like some 70s fancy lighters. All the people here are friendly and they know their stuff.
If you're already in Tacoma, have time, and have a GPS, go to Tacoma Pipe & Tobacco, at 5606 S Lawrence St. They're a tiny shop selling some pipe tobacco, a few pipes, a zillion specialty bottled beers... and a case full of the wildest and biggest Turkish meerschaums you've probably ever seen.
A few "smoke shops" scattered around Seattle have some pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.