PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
This is a pipe I have been chasing for quite some time. I was happy to win the bid on this one.

18562632-orig.jpg

18562633-orig.jpg

18562634-orig.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
So you outbid me Don! Fair play to you. A very nice, later W.O. Larsen example of the Walrus. Most likely made by Teddy Knudsen. The earlier ones have the "rounded" tusks/feet, the later ones the "pointed" style. Supposedly they were all made by either Sven or Teddy Knudsen. Again, from Rob Cooper, "There were even two series of the numbered pipes, as the production facility suffered a fire and the master shapes had to be re-carved!"

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Ugg, I kinda had a feeling I grabbed this one from you Dave.
My apologies. If I ever want to let it go, you will be the first person I think of.

Don

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
In case you were wondering about the title, the shape is called the Walrus.
The pipe is huge, Larsen really had some nice briar to work with back in the day.

Reactions: dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I was thinking ugly duckling walking around with just its head and feet sticking out

No, the Duck was a different shape! :)

This one actually belongs to a member here. Pictures are from Cooks Fine Pipeworks.

Reactions: chopper

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
So you outbid me Don! Fair play to you. A very nice, later W.O. Larsen example of the Walrus. Most likely made by Teddy Knudsen. The earlier ones have the "rounded" tusks/feet, the later ones the "pointed" style. Supposedly they were all made by either Sven or Teddy Knudsen. Again, from Rob Cooper, "There were even two series of the numbered pipes, as the production facility suffered a fire and the master shapes had to be re-carved!"
I'm going to add Former to what I said above. Note the differences between this pipe, and the pipe in the OP. Catalog shapes, handmade pipes.

wol49super.jpgwol49super2.jpg

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.