Vulcan it stem seems to be oxidizing VERY quickly.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I purchased a Brigham pipe about a month ago and already the stem is showing noticeable discoloration. Much more than my other Vulcanite stemmed pipes which I've had longer. I'm wondering what might be causing this? I smoke 100% outdoors but am careful to never leave my pipes out. I began pipe smoking in the fall so maybe it's because of the increased UV rays with spring arriving? Also I'm wondering if there is a way to slow the oxidization process.
Thanks & Happy smoking.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
If you have any sesame oil around the house you might try a dab rubbed into your stem. It has a UV blockage rate of 30%. Olive oil has a 20% rating and a lot of folks use that as well.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Grab yourself a bottle of Obidisian Stem Oil, it is the best on the market. I would not use any type of food type oil on my pipes as it will turn rancid. Lower quality vulcanite will oxidize at a faster rate. High quality German vulcanite takes much longer to oxidize and if you use Obidisian on a regular basis, you will not see any oxidization for years.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
cigrmaster, just for clarity, are you saying that Obsidian Oil is a synthetic?

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
+1 cigrmaster
Although I have used olive oil before without any issues cgrmasters suggestion of obsidian oil is the best thing you can use for vulcanite. They protect and make your stems look great.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I use pure carnauba wax on my briars, and McGuires gold class car wax on my stems. U.V. protection. I've never had one reoxidize afterwards, and it puts one hell of a shine on a stem to boot.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
torque, Obidisian is made from Yak piss plus camel semen, and the crushed up testicles of a rhino, that is why it is so expensive.
I honestly have no idea what it is made from, all I know is that it is the best product I have ever used on my vulcanite stems. I think you will be amazed after trying it. I am so confident you will like it that if for some reason you don't I will buy it from you for the price you paid and I will pay for shipping. How is that for a gaurantee?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I understand it has an organic base. But, since you are sucking hot poisons into your mouth and absorbing them into your system, why would you care?
Yum . . . rhino testes. Good stuff! Wrap them in bacon though, everything is better with bacon.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I honestly have no idea what it is made from, all I know is that it is the best product I have ever used on my vulcanite stems.
Fair enough. Just curious though, if you don't know what's in it, how do you know it won't have rancidity issues like any other oil? What makes it better? What's the quantification that it's better than any other method? What's it's UV blockage value?
I ask these questions every time this comes up. No one has ever been able to answer them because, as you point out, no one knows what's in it. If anyone ever does then hell, I might switch over to it. Until then every single claim is unsubstantiated and at 8 bucks per 15 ml I'm gonna need more than that before I can take you up on your offer. :)

Dec 24, 2012
All I know is I have been using Obsidian oil for over 2 years - and I am still on the same $8 bottle - so cost really isn't an issue. I will say though that I don't know if it truly works. I do know that if a stem is already oxidized, then the obsidian doesnt really help, other than to make the stem look a little better for one smoke before the oxidation returns. I do use it on my vulcanite stems though, and for the most part they do look good, but I don't know if they would have looked any worse if I stopped using the obsidian oil.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
torque, all I know is that before I found Obidisian, keeping my vulcanite stems free of oxidation was a major pain, now it is as simple as wiping on Obidisian, letting it sit for half an hour and then wiping it off. I no longer have to send my pipes in to keep them perfect. I have been using it for over three years and have never had a stem go rancid on me. I honestly don't care what is in it and as far as UV protection, I do not store my pipes in direct sunlight but I do smoke my pipes outside plenty and still have no issues. As fas as my claims being unsubstantiated, I guess you are calling me a liar and all of my friends who swear by it are also liars?
Peck, stop using your obidisian on your stems and see what happens. Once a stem is in good shape, Obidisian will keep it nice. Now when it comes to the old sulpher laden crap British stems, nothing works great on those, but Obidisian will keep it nice longer than any other product I have tried. Most if not all of your pipes have the high quality German vulcanite so it is not an issue for you. I have smoked vulcanite stems for over 15 years and I have tried every single stem oil on the market that was sold at either SP or PC these last 15 years and I will unequivocally state that not a one of those other stem oils ever came close to what Obidisian can do. If people want to suffer with oxidization then don't use Obidisian, it is certainly no sweat off my balls. I have no affiliation with the company so I don't get a piece of the 8 whole bucks it sells for.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Very interesting. Thanks all for the advice/comments. I went with a very small amount of olive oil, polished out afterwards. It was what I had on hand and seemed to fit the bill. If I come across obsidian I might give it a shot.
danielplainview: using waxes and car polish makes more sense the longer I think about it. 8)

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
cigrmaster:I somehow missed your last post. I haven't seen obsidian at the b&m's around here. I'm in Canada and have been thinking of placing a small 'trial' order of tobacco to find out what the customs process is all about. I suppose that'd be the way to procure obsidian. Most of my pipes show no oxidization at all so prevention rather than repair is important.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I keep a bottle of Obsidian Oil around to keep the rhinos away, and it works.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
As fas as my claims being unsubstantiated, I guess you are calling me a liar and all of my friends who swear by it are also liars?
No one called you anything, those are your words. I simply asked a few questions.

aerofanadam

Lurker
Apr 26, 2015
On the subject of stems, I find myself wondering why pipes don't come with replaceable tips. Just the last inch or so of the stem in whatever shape and material one likes. I love the wood stem on my MacQueen, but that doesn't seem to be an industry norm.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
What exactly, or approximately, is oxidation? Is it a loss of coloration or a buildup of some sort? Does cleaning with Whisky help against it? I'm speculating in ignorance that oxidation arises from a chemical reaction to saliva. Or does oxidation occur all over the stem, beyond the area that's in the mouth?

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Oxidation happens all over the stem. Vulcanite is a sulfur impregnated hard rubber. Sulfur can oxidize (become reduced) over time and exposure to elements like UV radiation (sunlight), oxygen, heat, and also acidic compounds like saliva. How much a stem will oxidize is proportional to the amount of sulfur that is at the surface of the vulcanite and how much exposure it has to these elements. Not all vulcanite stems become discolored at the same rate and depends on variables like quality of material, how it is maintained, etc. Hope that helps.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Brass, Obsidian oil does not remove oxidation. It's a preventative measure only, and a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.