SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

chopper

Preferred Member
Aug 24, 2019
I'd been looking for a Reverse Calabash to add to my collection & to see how they actually smoke.
It wasn't easy to find one within my budget. They don't seem to exist under $100usd [which works out at $150aud + postage]

Saw this one on ebay with a starting price at around $55usd [including free postage] I was the only bidder so it worked out at $80aud.
A bargain really.

It provides a very smooth smoke. Considering that I choose mild blends, it can be a little too smooth so I use it to smoke flakes like PS Luxury Navy Flake & MB Navy Flake.

volkan rc 1a.jpg

volkan rc 1c.jpg

chopper

Preferred Member
Aug 24, 2019
Also bought this Volkan Chubby for $44usd [including free postage]
Haven't fired this one up yet.
I liked the bright stain & coloured stem but friends don't seem to be that impressed.
Oh well, I bought it for myself & I like it so that's what matters.

Volkan Chubby

volkan chubby $66.50aud.jpg

olkofri

Preferred Member
Sep 9, 2017
Those look like grenades.

Not dissing them, just saying. I think the first one is the nicest of the two; the second one looks too papier-mâché to me.

• Wow
Reactions: chopper

BROBS

Preferred Member
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Volkan pipes are really an amazing handmade for the price. Alberto Paronelli

Reactions: chopper

olkofri

Preferred Member
Sep 9, 2017
So, do you notice that the reverse calabash does anything? I haven’t tried one yet.
I've burnt my tongue with my Curvy. They don't magically give you a guaranteed cool smoke, other factors still apply.

Reactions: Casual

chopper

Preferred Member
Aug 24, 2019
Those look like grenades.

Not dissing them, just saying. I think the first one is the nicest of the two; the second one looks too papier-mâché to me.
Yes they're really chunky pipes. The RC weighs 69g. A touch on the weighty side but as I'm not a clencher it's fine for me. [The Chubby is 63g]

Yeah the Chubby pipe certainly draws mixed opinions. Some really don't like the look of it.
It reminds me of a girlfriend from my youth who had flaming red hair & gorgeous green eyes ...... sigh.
Why I refer to it as the Veronica, lol.

The most important thing for me when looking at pipes is a decent thickness to the chamber wall.
These two fit the bill more than adequately : )

chopper

Preferred Member
Aug 24, 2019
So, do you notice that the reverse calabash does anything? I haven’t tried one yet.
Yes absolutely. It makes a big difference. Because my blends are all mild, it can be a little too smooth if that makes sense.
It's why I reserve it for the flakes or AJs VaPer which are the strongest blends in my cellar.
All of them smoke really well in this RC.

Reactions: Casual