PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
So I've historically cleaned the bowl and stem with Jack Daniels which produced an excellent taste in the long run.

I recently ran out and concurrently been gifted a bottle of premium Gray Goose Vodka.

Neither my wife nor I like vodka as a drink, and during my first attempt to use it for the bowl, I accidentally dropped a cleaner down into the full bottle.

Since I can't imagine drinking that stuff with all the bristles floating in there, the bottle was formally branded premium grade pipe cleaning solution.

So far after several weeks it seems to be doing the job excellently with no undesirable effects.
Was wondering whether any of you have used vodka and if not, what drinking grade alcohol have you used and favor.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I drink vodka regularly so it is my cleaning fluid of choice. I pour some into a tall double shot glass to dip my pipe cleaners in so as to avoid dropping a pipe cleaner into a full bottle.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I just use Everclear. It's 190 proof grain alcohol. I have had punch with Everclear as the alcohol base.
I knew a guy once who would do shots of it straight. No ice. He wasn't completely right in the head.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I used Vodka once however I found out that 95% alcohol solution was better than that. I don't see why you cannot use it.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Poor Grey Goose, my favourite vodka.. :(
Oh, well, at least your pipes will enjoy it. :mrgreen:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Vodka is my pipe cleaning fluid of choice. I just buy a miniature bottle of whatever type they have handy at the convenience store.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Grey Goose is only 40 percent alcohol (the rest being water)vs grain alcohol at 95& and isopropyl alcohol which is 91%

so in addition to being a less powerful cleaning solution it takes much longer to dry.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I prefer Everclear, but then I don't need or want to clean my pipes often with that. A hot water rinse is my choice, and if it needs a bit more, wet coffee grounds works o.k.- several days drying out is needed then.

Jun 4, 2014
I prefer Everclear for cleaning, but I've used vodka and whiskey. A Gray Goose Martini (stirred not shaken) is one of my favorite cocktails.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I was using 80 proof rum. I switched over to Everclear. Stuff I thought was clean using 80 proof was not clean when I ran Everyclear through it. 80 proof is not enough. At least not enough when cleaning estate pipes.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Vodka is all I mostly use, a lot gentler than grain on the innards and great for dipping your cleaners in!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I don't drink vodka, which means there's always plenty in my liquor cabinet as it is kept on hand for those who do. i try to buy good stuff in the liquors I DON'T drink -- Grey Goose or Stoli for vodka, Tanqueray for gin, Cuervo anjeo for tequila -- since I'll be drinking very good whiskey and don't want my now whiskey friends slighted.
I use vodka for cleaning exclusively. I don't doubt Everclear might be superior, and if I did a lot of restoring, I might get some. For my needs -- regular maintenance and the occasional estate clean up -- whatever vodka is in the cabinet works.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I think if you buy a pipe new and take care of it 80 proof will be fine. But for an unknown estate IMO 80 is not enough. I kept loading up a "cleaned" estate I used 80 on and it was sour within a few minute. Several bowls worth or FM tossed out. Bought some everclear and I got a lot of crap out of the pipe that I thought was clean. If the pipe is smoking good then might not be needed but if you are wondering why its sour then you may need to step up to the high octane stuff.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I usually use the strongest Vodka I can get, but it's only 50% in the UK. Ever learned difficult to get here, but I'll have a look and see how I get on.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.